Author Topic: Evacuees During the Second World War  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
  • "You learn something new everyday"
    • View Profile
Re: Evacuees During the Second World War
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 August 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have or have access to his death certificate ......... might yield something.
Joe

I'm not sure why his 1993 death cert would have anything about where he was evacuated to in WW2?
You are probably right ........... I don't know why I asked.
Joe

;D
Chattell - London
Dew - London
Hubbard - London
Mace - London and Cambridge

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 August 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Her brother has died and I've tried putting him on the 1939 but no luck?

Do you mean you've tried searching for him on the 1939 or you've requested his record be opened (for which you'll need to submit a copy of his 1993 death cert)?  If you've not asked for his record to be opened then they probably don't know he's no longer alive.   Until someone provides proof to the contrary his record will remain redacted until the DoB given on the 1939 register is more than 100 years ago.

If you have submitted proof of death and his record hasn't been opened it's possible they weren't able to match the details on the death cert with an entry on the 1939.  I don't know what the procedure is in this case.  I don't know if people did get missed off for any reason (they did on censuses).  Might he have been known by another name?  Perhaps his DoB on the 1939 register is unclear or even wrong (given that he presumably wasn't with his parents).  If you can narrow down where FindMyPast should be looking for him in 1939 (Brecon Beacons area, with sister ... whose DoB was ...) they might manage to find him and open his record.  When they do you'll probably find a redacted line either above or below his entry and that will be your mother.

My own mother knew the town where she was evacuated to but unfortunately it had quite a sizeable population and the surname of her hosts was a common one.  But she could remember a nearby parade of shops and some of their names, through that I was able to establish the address she almost certainly stayed at for just six weeks prior to returning to London.  My father was evacuated close enough to London that he and his brother would come home for weekends  ???  ::).  He recalls witnessing a doodlebug landing nearby so presumably it was only the eccentric English for whom war stopped at weekends!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
I'll try talking again to her, but I do not hold out much hope!

Thanks everyone for your comments x
Chattell - London
Dew - London
Hubbard - London

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 August 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Have you found her parents ( your grandparents) on the 1939 register to see if there are closed records with them, which would suggest the children were still at home when it was taken. From that  you would get their address and might be able to work out where your mother would have gone to school if she can't remember.

Once you have that, contact the school and ask if their log book shows where the children were evacuated to. The log books of the school where I taught gave a lot of detail about evacuation of the children, as they all went to the same area (Shoreham in Sussex). Then once you have the town or at least area they went to, contact local schools and ask if they have the admission registers for 1939 or if their log books give details of evacuees.

ADDED: If contacting schools I would leave it a few weeks, as most schools are too busy in the first few weeks of the new school year to deal with this sort of enquiry.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 August 17 01:57 BST (UK) »
Local newspapers may have carried some basic details of when and where school parties went, but unlikely to name children other than any who did something newsworthy. You'll probably have to visit the local studies library for where she lived, especially if this is London which the big newspaper digitisation project seems to be getting a wide berth.

Whilst there it may also be worth looking at local education committee minutes which I'd expect to record making arrangements. Again, they're unlikely to have complete lists of pupils, but may record teachers involved.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 July 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
Would it be easier to go straight to the school, although I dont have the details at the moment?
Chattell - London
Dew - London
Hubbard - London

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 July 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Would it be easier to go straight to the school, although I dont have the details at the moment?

This is quite an old post, did you try any of the ways suggested as I thought the whole point is you didn’t know the school or have you since discovered the name?

Obviously the easiest way is to contact the school. However, I wouldn’t do that at the moment as they will be far too busy with other things. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Yes I have tried the above recommendations but have drawn blanks....
Chattell - London
Dew - London
Hubbard - London

Offline Tearose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 July 20 05:21 BST (UK) »
Since the onset of this post my mum has sadly died
Chattell - London