Author Topic: South Australia Death lookup - Griffey  (Read 6630 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia Death lookup - Griffey
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 October 13 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando, will check it out....are the Destitute Asylum and the Lunatic Asylum the same place then?

I have found deaths at both institutions as they both housed the aged and infirm.  At times I have found errors with the death information ie death was stated in the lunatic asylum and found it was actually at the destitute asylum....after searching records of both places.  The SLSA holds records as well.

http://www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1283&c=613

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 October 13 04:28 BST (UK) »
ok cool, will wait and see if he shows up in the Lunatic Asylum records, if not will search in the Destitute Asylum  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline SimVeith87

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JenClark,

I've registered with Roots Chat as I was doing some random research into my father's family tree, and I believe that I may have a connection to you via the Griffey's?

Here is some information that I have:

Jonathon M Perrers (1821-1902) married Mary Jane Griffey (1820-1899) and from there, direct connections are recorded to Marshall H G Perrers, Rickman G Perrers, Alfred Harold Palmer, Amelia R G Perrers, William T G Perrers, Mary L G Perrers, Harry W G Perrers (all offspring...I believe).

We (my sister and I) actually had a professional put together our tree, as it's so complex (as they all are!), so I would love to know if we are actually related through a distant connection :)

My father's last name is Hilton and my married name is Veith :)

Sim

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sim, welcome to Rootschat  ;D

If you are related to Mary Jane Griffey, then yes we are distantly related.....the trick is though which Mary Jane Griffey??

Jonathon Marshall Collins Perrers (1821-1902) married two separate Mary Jane Griffey's who were cousins. I think you may have merged them as you have the dates (1820-1899)  ;)

His first wife Mary Jane Griffey (1820-1855) was the daughter of James Griffey and Mary Miller, they married in 1843

His second wife Mary Jane Griffey (1814-1899) was the daughter of William Griffey and Elizabeth Clarke, they married in 1856

James Griffey (1789-1870) and William Griffey (1783-1853) were brothers and were the sons of Richard Griffey and Jane Phillips of Bideford, Devon. I descend from William Griffey and Elizabeth Clarke's son William Perryman Griffey and his wife Joanna Pollard. 

Jonathon's first wife had all 6 of their children - Harry Wilson Perrers (1844), Mary Louisa Perrers (1845), William Tardrew Perrers (1848), Amelia Ribouleau Perrers (1850), Rickman Perrers (1852) and Marshall Haward Perrers (1854)

I have not come across an Alfred Harold Palmer Perrers....so would be interested in what records you have relating to him and his possible link to this family.

If you said your father's last name is Hilton, then do you descend from Amelia Ribouleau Perrers & Henry Hilton? I had not chased this family down much past the 1870's births of their children...would love to know how you fit in. I assume you are still in South Australia? I am in Brisbane myself.

I will also flick you an e-mail so we can exchange info, though a word to the wise the moderators don't like us putting our e-mail addresses in posts, they prefer us to use personal messages as then we aren't at risk of spam  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 October 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
I think the 1902 obit for Jonathan Perrers just confirms what you already know.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87820671

In particular that he worked briefly as a painter when he first arrived in SA, and that he was twice married (but no further marriage details).

He and Mary Jane are buried together at West Terrace Cemetery.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 October 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hey seeking0, yep that is them  ;)

He was described in Adelaide newspapers in the 1860's as:

M Perrers PAINTER, PLUMBER, GLAZIER, AND PAPERHANGER, Brown-street, Adelaide.

They are buried with their great grandaughter Edith, a grandchild of Amelia Ribouleau Perrers & Henry Hilton.

Burial:
Name: Perrers, Jon Marsh Collins
Date of Death: 24 March 1902
Last Abode:
Service Type: Burial

Name: Perrers, Mary Jane
Date of Death: 14 November 1899
Last Abode:

Name: Palmer, Edith Ribolean
Date of Death: 15 July 1914
Last Abode:

Cemetery: West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide
Section: Road 1 North
Path Number: A1
E/W: W
Site Number: 19

Jenny

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 October 19 06:28 BST (UK) »
Austcemindex has burials for the surname PERRERS at West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide SA.
https://www.austcemindex.com/?family_name=perrers&cemetery=west+terrace

You already have -
Perrers   Jon Marsh Collins, 24 Mar 1902, West Terrace SA, Row and Plot: Road 1 Nth         
Perrers   Mary Jane, 14 Nov 1899, West Terrace SA, Row and Plot: Road 1 Nth

These others have the same surname:
Perrers   Catherine, 13 Feb 1918, Row and Plot: Road 5
Perrers   Rickman, 3 Dec 1931, Row and Plot: Road 5   (JenClark   gives him as a son of Jon and his first wife, b 1852
Perrers   Florence Natheli, 24 Oct 1980,Row and Plot: Eyre         
Perrers   Henry Wilson, 5 May 1932 Row and Plot: Eyre (son of Jon and first wife, b 1844)

Judith         

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 October 19 07:39 BST (UK) »

He and Mary Jane are buried together at West Terrace Cemetery.

... unfortunately, from the family history point of view, in an unmarked grave.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 October 19 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith, yep they are our lot  ;)

Except that Harry Wilson Perrers (b 1844) remained in England and died there in 1891, the Harry (Henry) Wilson Perrers that is buried in Adelaide in 1932 is the son of Rickman Perrers and Catherine Dittmar, he was born 1888. Florence Natheli Perrers is his wife.

Jenny