Author Topic: Thurleigh Parish Records  (Read 51834 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thurleigh Parish Records
« on: Tuesday 22 October 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the burial of;
Thos Seely buried 1726/27 (no parents) Note: listed as Goodman at Thurleigh St Peter Trinity. Free BDM
I cannot see a Goodman family in Thurleigh but Goodman is a given Sabey name.
I wonder why Thomas may have been ‘listed as Goodman’?

John Seeby s of Wm and Susan bap 8 Nov 1713 St Peter Tr Thurleigh (Note: alternative name Seely)

I am interested in a John Saby a Farmer of Blacknoe Farm (which was north of Blacknoe End in the Parish of Thurleigh) who married ‘of Bolnhurst’ to Elizabeth Hull /? Hall ‘of Thurleigh’ and wonder if the family name had a variation of Seeby/Seely in Thurleigh?

John Sabey apparently NC and had unbaptised children 1742-1752 on Bolnhurst register.
John apparently left a will in 1777 although I have not found a burial for this year.

There is however a burial in Thurleigh (as Sabey);

John Sabey of Bolnhurst burial 14 Aug 1781 at Thurleigh and possibly of his wife Eliz Sabey wife of Jn burial 13 Oct 1765 at Thurleigh.
Also a possibly daughter Mary Sabey d of J of Bolnhurst burial 23 Nov 1774 at Thurleigh
And possibly his son Wm Sabey of Colmworth burial 1 Nov 1782 St Peter at Thurleigh
Or possibly his son married William Saby of Bolnhurst married Sarah Throssel of Thurleigh 18 Nov 1785 at Thurleigh.

These entries may not be related but is there any other information on these entries?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thurleigh Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
As John's 1777 will wasn't proved until 9 Nov 1781, I don't think there's much doubt that his is the burial on 14 Aug 1781 at Thurleigh, "of Bolnhurst"
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
All I can give you are some relevant burials at St Peter, Thurleigh.
Source: Bedfordshire Family History Society.
13/10/1765, Elizabeth SABEY
23/11/1774, Mary SABEY
14/08/1781, John SABEY
01/11/1782, William SABEY

07/01/1714, John SEELY
15/11/1715, John SEELY
30/03/1720, Mary SEELY
30/01/1727, Goodman Thomas SEELY
22/03/1736, Thomas CEILEY

Hope that helps.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 17:17 BST (UK) »

Thos Seely buried 1726/27 (no parents) Note: listed as Goodman at Thurleigh St Peter Trinity. Free BDM
I cannot see a Goodman family in Thurleigh but Goodman is a given Sabey name.
I wonder why Thomas may have been ‘listed as Goodman’?

I assume you mean FreeREG rather than FreeBDM. I don't really understand the FreeREG entry, and would have to look at the PR, although the transcript may shed light on it. (The NBI entry listed by Victor seems to imply that Goodman was a first name, in which case there may be a link to the Sabeys)

It seems as though William the father of the Thurleigh entries was a tailor, which is at variance with the ag labs and farmers of the rest of the Sabey/Seeby family.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor and David
Thank you for you help and I agree that it would be best to check the original. Yes I did mean FreeReg.
I also found;
Lucy Seely d of William bap 13 Jan 1716/17 Thurleigh Beds FreeBDM

It does seem strange that William was a tailor married to Elizabeth.
The 1713 baptism John was the son of William and Susan. A John son of William and Elizabeth buried same year? Does this indicate that there were two Williams or perhaps a transcription error?
John Seeby s of Wm and Susan bap 8 Nov 1713 St Peter Tr Thurleigh (alternative name Seely) ?sister Lucy
Jn Seely s of Wm and Elz buried 7 Jan 1713/14 Thurleigh St Peter

John Saby was a Farmer and I would assume that perhaps the farm was 'in the family'.
You mention the 1777 was a property mentioned?
If John mentioned his children William, James and Sarah I assume that they were alive when the will was written (interesting that it was not proved until 1781 which rather confirms the burial as his).

Therefore perhaps William, James or Sarah took over the property or stayed in Thurleigh. ?
Did William marry Sarah Throssel? 
Did the 1777 will mention if Sarah had married?
? Jas (James on Free Reg) SABEY of Bolnhurst was buried in Wilstead 15th April 1800.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Here's my transcript of the will held at BLARS, extraneous bits excluded:

I, John Saby of Backnor House in the parish of Bolnhurst, farmer....
- to my son James £200 of goods and lawful money to be paid to him immediately after my decease and I appoint my friend Mr Edward Stockdale of Bedford, draper, guardian and trustee for my said son James (ie James was a minor)
- to my son in law Thomas Hartopp one guinea to be paid within six months of my decease
- to my four grandchildren, Thomas, Mary, John and James, issue of my daughter Sarah, wife of the said Thomas Hartopp, the sums of £25 apiece
- the residue to my son William Saby who I appoint sole executor
Dated 6 Dec 1777
Proved 9 Nov 1781

So his living children were
Sarah, wife of Thomas Hartop
James
William

Deceased child Elizabeth - "child of John Saby born Mar 6 1752, named Elizabeth, died in a few weeks"

Property would often/usually be disposed outside the will.
Also living in Bolnhurst was Joseph Sabey who had three wives all named Elizabeth, the first of whom was Elizabeth Hall. They baptised a son William on 26 Dec 1752 at Bolnhurst. I have him as marrying Sarah Throssell in 1785, but I could be wrong and it was William son of John who married Sarah. But there was a William, who I assume to have been the husband of Sarah Throssell, buried in Bolnhurst on 28 Feb 1827 aged 75. But the other William disappears after being named as executor of his father's will.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello; from the Thurleigh PR transcript of burials it just says on 30 Jan 1726/7 Goodman Thos SEELY, no further info. In their indexing Blars link SEELY with SEEBY, but these are quite separate from SABY/SABEY/SABIE. This is clearly a given/christian named so why FreeReg give his name as Thos (rather than Thomas which does not help when searching !) & says listed as Goodman, perhaps suggesting that was some sort of title ... ie. he was a good man? Anyway we know that Sabeys have used first name Goodman in other branches of the family.   

Note see  http://www.thurleigh.net/   it seems to have the same FreeReg transcripts of births/marriages/burials, use the History & Genealogy tab

Regards
John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
As per IGI, there's a baptism of Goodman Saby at nearby Colmworth on 8 March 1723, parents Joseph & Katherine, ? 
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the transcript of the Will
If William inherited the residue (bulk) of the estate I assume William was the eldest son
Two children of John were mentioned in the appendix as born in 1742 & 1745 plus
Elizabeth ... child of John Saby born 6 Mar 1752 named Elizabeth died in a few weeks, buried elsewhere Bolnhurst PR. But it seems that Elizabeth was actually buried Bolnhurst
Elizabeth Saby a child buried 6 Mar 1752 St Dunstan Bolhurst

If James was a minor in 1777 then he was born after 1756 so after the children mentioned in the appendix.
Therefore perhaps William was born 1742 and Sarah 1745.

Wm Sabey of Colmworth burial 1 Nov 1782 St Peter at Thurleigh Beds (any notes on this burial may help?)
This was soon after the will was proved. Or was J&E son buried
William SABEY buried 28 Feb 1827 aged 75 born 1752 St Dunstans Bolnhurst. (ten years younger)
This William probably married.

Sarah Seaby or Sabey married Thos Hartop 2 Oct 1771 Bolnhurst Beds (born 1745 married aged 26)
Sarah Hartop buried 21 Jul 1778 Keysoe burial mother or daughter. Sarah is not a beneficiary in the will. Did she die?
Thomas Hartupp s of Thomas and Sarah bap 20 Dec 1772 Keysoe
Mary Hartop d of Thomas and Sarah bap 3 Apr 1774 Keysoe
(also daughter Sarah 1778, son Essek 1779 Keysoe ?bap after Sarah’s burial. No bapt John and James)

I cannot see a marriage for James but there is a burial;
Jas SABEY of Bolnhurst was buried in Wilstead 15th April 1800 Wlistead PR.  (only pre 1812 Sabey) is James on FreeReg. Wilstead is 11 miles South from Bolnhurst
I wondered why John did not make a family member the guardian of his son James.
There is some information regarding Edwards Stockdale of Bedford a draper on A2A (he benefits from Ann Taylor’s Will and was deceased by 1783 (burial not found) the only son of John a Tailor and Elizabeth. Edward’s heir was his niece Sarah wife of John Saville) and in a 1771 prosecution he is described as a Tailor not Draper (William Seely of Thurleigh was a Tailor).
Edward and Sarah Stockdall or Stockdell may have had John bap 1775 in Northill but I can find no marriage Edward to Sarah. There is a lack of Stockdale records, Sarah Savill the niece of Edward had children baptised 1783 onwards at the Howard Chapel Bedford one son John Stockdale Saville so perhaps the family were all NC (as was John Saby) which may be their relationship.

John. Thank you for the Thurley link and the 1723 Goodman baptism in Colmworth. I think this Goodmans of Joseph (1675) married Elizabeth Valentine in 1753 at Colmworth. I cannot see how they link to Goodman/Thos Seely/Seeby buried 1727 Thurleigh

From the Thurleigh website I did find (perhaps) the baptism of John Saby’s wife;
Elizabeth Hull d of Rob and Eliz bap 22 Jan 1720 Thurleigh. Rob Hull a Farmer buried 24 Sep 1723 Thurleigh. Elizabeth seems to be their only child perhaps John Saby worked on Robert's farm?

As an aside, a traditional naming pattern in Devon was to use a mother or grandmother’s maiden name as a given name for their children. Could perhaps this branch have a mother nee Goodman?

Just about exhausted this!!!