Author Topic: Thurleigh Parish Records  (Read 51836 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thurleigh Parish Records
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
And just to lob another name into the frame for Merlin to chase around after, there's an entry in the will index at BLARS of John Sabey alias Savill of Colmworth dated 5 July 1674. Also mentioned Susanna Sabey alias Savill of Colmworth, widow, and Robt Sabey alias Savill of Bolnhurst.

The Admon entry dated 5 July 1674 is in latin, roughly translated with the help of BLARS is...

John Saby alias Savill of Colmworth, deceased....it has been granted to Robert Sabey alias Savill of Bolnhurst, brother of the deceased & John Holditch of Kimbolton, tanner by the creditors of the deceased.... that during the minority of Elizabeth, only daughter of the deceased.....& that the said John Holditch of Kimbolton, tanner; Susanna Sabey alias Savill of Colmworth, widow (of the deceased) & Edmund Peacocke, farmer of Bolnhurst.... are bound in the sum of £100 (to act as trustees?)       

** so she's most likely Elizabeth, daughter of John & Susan Saby baptised 27 Sept 1673 at Colmworth following the marriage there on 7 Nov 1672 of John Saby to Susanna Shefford
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 16:11 GMT (UK) »
The will of Samuel White, farmer of Bolnhurst bequeaths all land & property to son Joseph White, farmer of Bolnhurst & to son in law John Whitmee, farmer of Thurleigh (who are the executors). Other items are bequeathed to my daughter Elizabeth Pestell, wife of Thomas Pestell, farmer of Bolnhurst; to my daughter Charlotte Whitmee, wife of the said John Whitmee; to my wife Ann White & to my daughter Sarah White of Bolnhust. Will is dated 28 Jan 1828 & witnessed by Joseph Parish, William Maddy & Richard Kilpin. Proved on 21 Jun 1828, value was not in excess of £450.
Clement - Croydon

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Saturday 30 November 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
John.  Thank you for the information re wills. I think that ties the Whites up nicely and gives a death for Samuel although there is no burial for him.
Sarah White was and ‘extra’ I did not know of and have not found her baptism, but of course they were NC, or later on census although she witnessed weddings and births of family members.

I wonder if you or David may be able to shed any light on the Deeds below or the Will mentioned in BS1824.
My side is from John the Baptist whereas, David is from Joseph.  David may have already seen the Will which may relate to Joseph Sabey who may have died in 1736.

According to BS1799 Joseph Saby was in Bolnhurst in 1713 did he die in 1736?  The burial with the name altered?
Why was a copy of the burial needed in 1825?
Bolnhurst burial of a J..... Sabey of Colmworth on Dec 20 1736 - that's how it appears in the transcript with a note to said the name had been altered

Who were William Forster and Nicholas Waterhouse. Would they have been family members?

The reference numbers BS1793-1831 for dates 1688-1830 ‘deal with Title Deeds for mainly for Brayes Farm in Bolnhurst and Colmworth'.

Reference number BS1799 mentions Joseph Sabey and Richard Fisher (Fisher a name we had encountered before. Sarah Sabey/Hartop/Fisher and Abraham who did not baptise their children ?NC)

Joseph Sabey is not mentioned on the next entry BS1800 which is dated 1728.Would he still have had an interest in the Property? Or perhaps died before 1736?

BS1824 Title Letters of Administration
Granted to William Forster by Prerogative Court of Canterbury on Petition of Nicholas Waterhouse. 
The Estate of Joseph Seaby (or Saby) deceased limited to Brayes Farm with lands etc. 
Recites: BS1799. reciting BS1794;  BS1795 (mis-dating the year as 1706);  BS 1797 with memorandum annexed.
Date Free Text 19 Mar 1816.  Admin/biog history  BRA Stamp 641 from Frere Cholmeley & Co Lincolns Inn Fields.  Related Records see also BS1794 . Level of description item. Keywords. BOLNHURST.

BS1799 Title Assignment of Mortgage in Trust £260:  (i) Mary Cox of Wilstead widow  (ii) Thomas Cooper of Nertherstead Colmworth yeoman. Joseph Seaby of Colmworth husbandman  (iii) Richard Fisher of Colmworth yeoman  (iv) Edward Eastwell of Bolnhurst yeoman.  Recites BS1794 1795 [mis-dating the year as 1706] with endorsements. 1796 and 1797.  A farm house called Brayes and other property as therein recited.  For Richard Fisher to attend the Inheritance.  Witnesses: James Warren. Robert Clare.William Berkeley Date. Date Free Text 2 May 1713 Date From 1706 (see above re misdating) Date To 1713

Reference BS1800
Title Lease for one year (Release absent):  (i) Edward Eastwell of Bolnhurst, yeoman  (ii) Richard Fisher of Colmwoth, yeoman.  Brayes Farm with home close, orchard and barns etc and all appurtenances; Long Close Pightle and Taylors Pightle; Bryer Ridding Close, east of Long Close (2 acres 3 roods); 66 acres arable etc in Bolnhurst [details given].  Witnesses: Charles Edgerly, Robert Clare, Thomas Berleley
Date Free Text 4 May 1713 Date From 1706 Date To 1713

BS2015 Title Attested Copy: burial of Joseph Saby of Colmworth, from parish register of Bolnhurst 20 December 1736. Date Free Text 1736; copy made 24 November 1825 Date From 1736 Date To 1825

Offline Kettlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I stumbled on your fantastic chat a couple of weeks ago.
I have an interest in Joseph Wright White who married Sarah Emery in1823 at  Eaton Socon, my possible 3rd great grand parents. This Sarah  is not the daughter of John and Elizabeth daughter of Rev Joshua Symonds, as speculated  from a post dated Sunday 24 November 2016 by Hemmum, I have found their daughter  Sarah married to a William Davenport in Stroud Gloucester in 1833 where her parents and sister Mary were living.
Therefore could I ask if anyone has found another Sarah Emery born 1801 who might be the Sarah married to Joseph White?

Thank you.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I stumbled on your fantastic chat a couple of weeks ago.

It's so long I'm not surprised it took you 2 weeks to plough through it!

I'll take a look at your query - I also have Emerys from that part of the world in my tree.

For some reason which I can't explain, I appear to have missed Hemmum's last post. Perhaps I left it to John! I'll look at that too.

David

PS Welcome to Rootschat!
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kettlass & welcome to RootsChat

You've restirred a very interesting thread! David I did not check out any of Hemmum's queries; as its been more than 3 years now I wonder if he/she got any further?

As to Joseph & Sarah who married in 1823, I've found them in Bolnhurst on 1841 census, but not subsequently, nor have I found a death/burial for either. In 1841 the first person in household is Ann White age 69 Farmer, assume Joseph's mother & widow of Samuel. Joseph age 38 & Sarah age 35, they had son Benjamin age 15 & son Samuel age 14 (tailor).
Samuel - I've found in 1851, age 25, a visitor in Stevington and in 1861, age 34, lodger in Lincoln.
Benjamin - died age 23 in Bedford RD in Dec 1850

If we could locate Sarah in later census it may give us a clue from place of birth.

As they had no anglican baptism, then they most likely were non-conformists. it's interesting to note that in the BHRS volume 75, chapels & meeting houses, there is one in Bolnhurst, registered as 'the house of Samuel White' dated 18 Dec 1818...

Cheers John

Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Friday 10 February 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
However from the marriage licence transcript dated 19 Feb 1823 of Joseph Wright White who married Sarah Emery, junior on 25 Feb 1823 at Eaton Socon, it states that both parties were "never baptised in C of E" & Joseph was from Bolnhurst

Just revisited this... & realise it says Sarah Emery, junior... inferring that there is a Sarah Emery, senior - most likely her mother... & still alive at that time. Witnesses at the marriage on 28 Feb 1823 were Richard Emery & James Emery, possibly siblings?

Next... another marriage licence dated 12 Mar 1821 for William Sharman, yeoman of Eaton Socon, bachelor to Rebecca Emery of Eaton Socon, mother Sarah Emery, but is doesn't mention father name - could be dead?. Witness to the marriage are Sarah Emery, her mother ? or her sister? Other witness was Samuel Green. In later censuses Rebecca Sharman was born 1804 Wyboston.

Also of interest, Beds Archives has the will of George Emery, farmer of Wyboston, Eaton Socon ref ABP/W 1818/30 and the will of Sarah Emery of Wyboston, Eaton Socon, widow ref ABP/W 1835/37..... might be good to take a look at these ! however I cannot find burials in 1818 & 1835 ... but there is a marriage of George Emery to Sarah Longland on 19/5/1785 at ES, by licence... could be ?   

Clement - Croydon

Offline Kettlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Friday 10 February 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies,  you've  given me lots to go on and  I will get back to you.

Offline kyliebun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but I have only just discovered it while researching my family name and anyway the facts should never change!  I read with much interest (over a few days!) as my late father Raymond Francis Sabey was a direct descendant in the male line of Thomas Sabey born 1800 Bolnhurst and therefore may also be descended from Francis. Recently I registered the surname with the Guild of One-Name Studies and began a Y-DNA project with FTDNA in order to research common heritage between family trees and test the suggestion that the surname derives from the Sabines.  As Y-DNA follows male surnames, then I may also discover if the theory that Francis is Thomas's father is correct or not and if Francis Elms is his father.  I have a Sabey relative who is also directly descended from Thomas in the male line and I am waiting for his Y-DNA results so if I can find any other male holders of the surname Sabey (especially if they are directly descended from Samuel) with Y-DNA profiles to join the project then we are on the way to finding the skeleton in the cupboard, .....or not!  Please be in touch if you can help me rattle this particular set of old bones and perhaps clear up an ancient mystery.

But anyway, if you are a male Sabey from any global branch of the name or its variants and have had your Y-DNA tested please consider joining the Project as every holder of each spelling will form a vital part of the study.  If you are thinking of taking a Y-DNA test (or you are a female who could persuade Mr. Sabey to!) contact us at the Guild of One-name Studies as we offer a discounted FTDNA testing kit.

Many thanks.

https://www.familytreedna.com/my/group-join.aspx?group=Sabey

http://one-name.org/name_profile/sabey/#uqzqBC8lw01AeTqp.99