Author Topic: William COPE, Superintendant of Police  (Read 3093 times)

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William COPE, Superintendant of Police
« on: Friday 25 October 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to help one of our family history group at our library with a really interesting family -unfortunatly not in Herefordshire.
1.The family is of William COPE b 1832 in Bosbury, he was a Superintendant of police. does anyone have access to local papers which might contain an obituary. I think I have found his death in 1897.

2. can anyone find this family on 1861 and 1871 census? I have tried various variations of the name without success. William's wife was Ann, also b 1832. they would have had at least 4 children by 1861 Sarah Ann b 1853, William b 1854, Andrew b 1855, Sarah I M b 1858 and added another 5 by 1871 but I can find none of them. I have found the family on 1881 and 1891. I have also found William on 1851 as a footman at the home of a magistrate in Marden.

3. can anyone find a death or obituary for William Cope b 1854, Marden, also a Superintendant of Police in Worcesterhire.  I have found this william as an apprentice as a wheelwright in 1871, then in the police in Worcestershire from 1881 to 1911 - just wondered if an obit might appear in Herefordshire as that was where he was born + his father's connection and a brother Andrew who was also connected to Police.

Many thanks for any help

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William COPE, Superintendant of Police
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 October 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Long article in the Hereford Times 1 July 1899 begins: "Supt. A. T. Cope, of Ross, will be shortly  leaving Ross to take up his abode in Hereford city. Supt Cope is the second son of the late William Cope, who was for many years superintendent of Ross and D.C.C. Hereford, and brother to Mr William Cope, Supt. in the Worcestershire Constabulary, stationed at Evesham"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William COPE, Superintendant of Police
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 October 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ

That is great, thank  you for that. It seems this family have policing in their genes.

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk