Author Topic: Italian POW Camp - Isle of Man  (Read 10560 times)

Offline Gina Fashioni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian POW Camp - Isle of Man
« on: Friday 25 October 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am trying to find more information about my uncle Dario Valentini. He was interned at a POW
in the Isle of Man with his father. As fate would have it, my father's brother, Sam Fascione was a guard at the camp. Apparently the idea of using English born Italians to guard the Italian prisoners was because it was thought that they would not trouble each other! It worked because my Uncle Sam made friends with Dario and when he was released he came to Southport and married Sam's sister. my Auntie Mary! I just wonder if anyone knows anything about the camps in those days.
Gina Fascione.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Italian POW Camp - Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 October 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Gina
The Anglo-German FHS  http://www.agfhs.org.uk   have done a huge amount of work on the Isle of Man POW camps, which may be of use to you, however there is also an Anglo-Italian FHS   http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk   that should be worth trying first as they just might have done similar work.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 October 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Presumably you mean the WW2 Internment Camps?
(There were also Internment Camps in WW1)

Have a read of this:
http://www.ajr.org.uk/index.cfm/section.journal/issue.Feb08/article=1012

Maybe the iMuseum could help?
www.imuseum.gov.im
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 October 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
possibly www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/metro.htm might add some info as Metropole Hotel was used as Italian camp in WW2
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
possibly www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/metro.htm might add some info as Metropole Hotel was used as Italian camp in WW2

I also have Italian family who were interned on the Isle of Man in WWII.  I found out at the WDYTYA Live show last weekend.  A lady from the Anglo-Italian FHS gave me the details.

The details for two of them, Giovanni and Lazzaro ERMELLI, included "Gremillo Corp" and a number.  I found a very small map online which looked as though there was a Gremillo Camp marked on it.  It seems to have been part of the Metropole Camp or a group of camps of which they were both part.  (Enlarging the map made didn't help.)  So I think it should have been Gremillo Camp and that the number is their internment record number.

Is there any way of confirming whether it would have been Gremillo Corp or Gremillo Camp?

I already have the AJR and Manx Notebook pages plus a piece from the Airfield Information Exchange site.  The National Archives (UK) say they don't have anything but I know they do because they were the source of the information I do have!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
try manx museum library@mnh.gov.im as they hold the records
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 March 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
try manx museum library@mnh.gov.im as they hold the records
Thank you!  :D I'll that this evening :)

Offline BronxPiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread, but my Grandfather was interned on the Isle of Man in WW2. I believe the Hotel Alexandra was part of or next to the Metropole? Anyway, I have photos of my Grandfather in a group, probably with other Italians, in the Alexandra, posing with an IOM TT Trophy. Sadly, I do not know the year. The photo looks a bit too good to be from the war years, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I will post them on here.
P.S Is there a site I can check how long my Grandfather was interned for? Without registering somewhere etc..