Author Topic: Family Tree Global Software Publishing (GSP) Version 2.0  (Read 2762 times)

Offline MosesDodd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree Global Software Publishing (GSP) Version 2.0
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I've used this software for many years and though it looks rather dated I find that it does everything that I need at the moment. If I want to upgrade I can convert data to GEDCOM files and migrate to a more modern system, but for the moment I'm staying put.

However, I've discovered that I need to move a whole section of my tree en bloc to a different ancestor. I have done this before but now I have to do it again I cannot remember how I did it! Is anyone out there able to help me - I want to make absolutely sure that I don't use any data, though I have of course backed up the files elsewhere.

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Many thanks,

Maurice.
Wilkins in Berkshire and Oxfordshire.
Phipps, Saunders, Chapman in Wiltshire.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Global Software Publishing (GSP) Version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't know anything about this particular software but if you do not receive a response then this is something you can do but it is not a sophisticated solution.

The easy solution would be to make a copy of your data file and let's call it data2.

Then open the file data2 instead of data1 and delete the branches you do not want your intended recipient to receive.

If I was doing this using Family Tree Maker then I would go to the top of the branch I wanted to copy and select Reports > Outline Descendency Report and then export the individuals listed in the report to a GEDCOM file.  Very easy solution.  Check to see if you can do the same as it will save you a bit of time.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline the inspector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I use this lovely program, but due to 2 computers crashing and the dubious wonders of the new all singing all dancing 64 bit programs now it will not work on modern computers. Regarding your problem I cannot confirm exactly, but seem to remember that if you get into descendant tree mode with the couple or person at the head of the tree you can right click and use the disconnect facility for that person, then connect the person you want in place and everything should fall into line. Have a look at the disconnect function in the help register for the program, it is not that onerous. I always write out or print off the instruction so that I know what I am doing. You have probably been told after all this time but just in case I thought that I would reply. Good luck.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
You could do it manually to your gedcom file, it's not too difficult, it's only as text file after all.

All you need to do is edit the record of the person you need to move (and any of their siblings) such that he/she is now the child in the correct different family. For example my record in my ged file has this bit:

1 FAMC @F22@

I'm a child (FAMC) of family F22. If I discovered that my parents were a different couple I could create those people and edit my record accordingly. So I create a new family, say it's F99, and edit my record such that it's:

1 FAMC @F99@

Obviously I'd have to do the same with my siblings but all other relationships would remain correct.

You could create a test tree with three or four generations and try it out, you'll soon see how it works.  :)