Author Topic: Patrick Power Tipperary  (Read 4739 times)

Offline AnitaWellard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Power Tipperary
« on: Tuesday 29 October 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to trace the parents of Thomas Power. All I know about him is that  his name is Patrick. This information I found on the wedding certificate of Thomas Power and Margaret Fanning who married in Ballyneil Carrick on Suir 1881. Following the marriage they lived in Ballinacluna, Kilmurry. On the wedding certificate there is a James Power as one of the witnesses. Could this be Thomas's Brother?
Thank you :)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Power Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family of Thomas Power and Margaret Fanning in the 1901 census -
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Kilmurry/Ballynacloona/1694494/

If so Thomas stated he was born in Co. Waterford whereas in the 1911 he gives Co Tipperary as birthplace. so it may be worthwhile looking in Waterford as well as Tipperary - often the records for that area maybe either in Tipperary or Waterford as it is a border area.
However the names are not uncommon   
Rootsireland.ie - a pay site has 6 Birth records in South Tipperary for Thomas Power with father Patrick between 1846 and 1866. and the Waterford centre has 16 between 1856 and 1864.
Does the marriage cert give Thomas residence at marriage? - may give a clue re parents residence.
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline AnitaWellard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Power Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
hello Anneclair

Thank you for replying to my post. Yes the family in the census is the family I am researching.

When Thomas Married Margaret Fanning in 1881 his age on the wedding certificate was given as 28 and his residence was Rathclarish. Both his and Patrick Power's occupation was given as Labourer.

Thank you

Anita