Author Topic: Kezia from Turvey  (Read 3853 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kezia from Turvey
« on: Wednesday 30 October 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
If you search the digital archive for people called Kezia buried in Bedfordshire, you will find that there are 165 of them.

And of those 165, no fewer than 14 (or 8.5%) are buried in a single parish: Turvey

Any ideas what might have caused such a concentration of such an unusual name in a single parish?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kezia from Turvey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't consider Kezia(h) to be a particularly unusual name. I have heard it was more popular among non-conformists (though I haven't got any data to back that up), and Turvey/Harrold/Carlton was strongly non-conformist.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 October 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Turvey/Harrold/Carlton was strongly non-conformist.

It was?

THat's worth knowing ... I've been having difficulty finding baptisms ... was assuming that the ancestors in question had migrated South and I'd find them next time I went to Northampton RO. Still might with some of them, of course ... but with those that I don't, this may be my answer.

Thanks  :)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:07 GMT (UK) »
When I was analysing the Bedford Registration District marriages, I found a lot from Bozeat that were in a non-conformist chapel (these can sometimes be deduced). These were, going by the marriages on the same page, almost certainly at Harrold, but few of the registers have been deposited so I don't suppose I'll ever know.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Lob a few names at us jbml, we may recognise them
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Lob a few names at us jbml, we may recognise them

Sure.

I've got William Eyles, c. 1771 - 1795, and his wife Phoebe Eyles (nee Sumpter) 1770 - 1800

Then I think William's parents were Elisha Eyles, c. 1750 - 1818 and Elizabeth Eyles (nee Skevington) c. 1750 - 1807 or 1815

Phoebe's father was Thomas Sumpter (I know this from her will)

Elisha's parents may have been John Eyles and Catherine Eyles (maiden name not known)

Elizabeth Skevington's parents may have been William Skevington and Kezia Skevington (nee Knight)

William Skevington's parents may have been William and Hester Skevington

(sorry about lack of dates ... I've got notes on them somewhere ...)

Offline TicknerV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor from Hampshire called Keziah KEMP! Interested in the EYLES family, because they were also found in Hardingstone in Northants, and link with the WHITWORTH family who were in Turvey in the 19th century, of whom an ancestor of many of them was a Mary BODDINGTON, who came from Turvey in the 17th century.