Author Topic: Swans of Northumberland  (Read 37631 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swans of Northumberland
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 November 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I was aware of the baptismal details and would like to be able to trace back the origins of Henry in particular, looking for the link to Grace Darling, but also Isabella in search of the link which justifies Thomas and Isabella Swan and William Henry Darling being described as cousins on the 1881 census.

I noted on the marriage cert that Margaret Jackson appears to come from Ascot ( if I'm reading it correctly). Very out of area and one can only wonder how a northumbrian farmer meets an Ascot surgeons daughter in 1840.

I'm contemplating starting a new thread because this is drifting off topic i.e it's now more about Darlings than Swans. As ever, I've been hugely impressed by the volume of assistance on this and it has certainly driven things forward……or should that be backwards?

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 November 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
yes Richard, we have drifted off Swan's, see you started another thread.  I had a thread on Gledson some time ago here is the link http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=567780.0
Paul

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 November 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Sherekhan

Checked the Horton Transcripts. Seems to be a bit of hole around 1774 when Thomas would have been born but can't see any record.

Does Bedlington come under Horton in the transcripts…..can't see a separate listing for it

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 November 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Sherekhan

Claire posted a link to a document which you should read if you haven't done so already.

http://be.convdocs.org/docs/index-104721.html?page=9

I hadn't realised that I already had this document. The original is the Peacock tree which you can get if you Google "Dorothy Rickerby" "Robert Swan". I have tried copying a link to this for you but it doesn't work. Just to complicate matters the original, which runs to 140 pages, is in Rich Text Format .rtf which won't open on my Mac and is a bit tricky even on a PC. I was eventually able to open it by converting it to .pdf and then saving it as .doc.

Technicalities aside this piece of research gives us some problems in that the son of Robert Swan and Dorothy Rickerby is given as Robert 1759 not 1750 and he is married to Mary Brown not Dorothy Gilhespy.

Take a look. If you want the full 140 pages I can email you a Word .doc version if you can't get it to open.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 November 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, Thomas Swann 1774 reappears in this b. Bedlington 22 May 1774. The fly in the genealogical ointment is that this doc has him dying in 1776 whereas according to my research he married Isabella Watson in 1791…..can't both be right.

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 November 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, If you could e-mail me would be great as the website it is using has been blocked.
phood59@hotmail.co.uk
Paul

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 November 13 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me pin down Robert Swan, the husband of Isobel Hindmarsh, who were married in 1802. Their daughter Ann Swan 1803 was my gggGrandmother and I'm very content that is correct.

According to the Horton BTs Robert was a native of this parish and, according to the marriage licence, was 30 in 1802. So we're looking for a Robert Swan born Horton around 1772. Can't see one in the BTs but might have missed it.

I would really like to know who Robert's parents were. Clearly we are descended from the Swans of Bedlington but exactly who Robert's ancestors were is unclear and some previous assumptions are looking a bit shaky.

I am aware, I think from the IGI, of a Robert Swan, Bedlington, 1779 who I had previously assumed was the right one but recent info now makes this look a bit late.

Offline sherekhan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 November 13 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Although Robert is mentioned as a native of Horton, it does not mean he was married there as he quite possibly got married in the parish of his wife.
Paul

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 November 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Isobel is from Bedlington and Robert " a native of the Chapelry of Horton". Am I right in thinking that Bedlington comes under Horton as far as the BTs are concerned so marrying in her parish rather than his would not affect the record location?

It's a birth record that I'm looking for for Robert and the Horton BT clearly says he's a local lad so Horton was the obvious place to look.