Author Topic: Cardiff Lane  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cardiff Lane
« on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone know a little about the history of Cardiff Lane in Dublin?  I know that there was an estate there in the 1850s partly owned by a Mark Cardiff.  Are there any buildings left from the estate or has it all been demolished?  Are there any photos in existence of that area from the 1800s?
Any help would be appreciated!
Borderslass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cardiff Lane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 October 13 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Cardiff Lane is still there - just off Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

Mostly modern buildings there now.
Being so close to the Quays, I would guess most of it disappeared during slum clearance?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 October 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much  :)
Is there any way to find old photos of Cardiff Lane from the 1800s?
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone know a little about the history of Cardiff Lane in Dublin?  I know that there was an estate there in the 1850s partly owned by a Mark Cardiff.  Are there any buildings left from the estate or has it all been demolished?  Are there any photos in existence of that area from the 1800s?
Any help would be appreciated!
Borderslass  :)
The address of the Maldron Hotel is Cardiff Lane Sir John Rogerson Quay - suspect none of the original buildings have survived.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 October 13 16:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a bar on the corner of Cardiff Lane and Sir John Regerson Quay?!

Built of red brick, but I have no idea how old it is.
Can't see (in Google Street View) any surviving houses or tenements?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 October 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
There was Originally a ship yard, then a large coal yard on the site where the hotel stands,
there were several small courts with workers cottages in the vicinity also, they were in the parish of St Andrew, you may be lucky and find some old photos on some of the sites that deal with the history of the area around the docklands..I know there is a historical Dockworkers site that have photo exhibitions every so often.

Offline brunosean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 December 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Cardiff Lane has changed beyond recognition.  One side of the street was until about 15 years ago ,, dominated by a huge gas holder and gas works.
The opposite side originally had a ship yard or boat repair yard. This was within the confines of some old walls [some of which still exist] which look as though they were built about 200 years ago. After the shipyard closed the premises was converted into a paint factory called Walpamur. That was 1933. It then became Crown paints in the 70s. I worked there. When it moved to another location the factory and warehouses were used by MGM to store film props for a while. Part of the film educating Rita was shot just off Cardiff land, in an annexe called misery hill. See pic.
There is a very old pub on the corner called the Ferryman which I reckon dates from 1850 and it has not changed dramatically from the outside,at least. It used to be known as the 8 bells.
The area was always very popular as a film set as it was so miserable. U2s studio, Windmill Lane was just around the back of the paint factory,and the 4 guys used to go for a beer and sandwich in another small pub nearby. The video for the Fury brothers  'steal away' was shot at the bottom of Cardiff lane, on the quayside. I will keep my eye out for older pics. The one attached only dates from 1965 or so.
The entire place has changed entirely, but a trained eye can still discern some of the old fabric.

Offline Jimcjp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 03:16 BST (UK) »
Brunosean: I worked there too in the 80's and early 90's, I think. I still dream about the place with Larry the foreman stressing me out!

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here is a map from 1837-42. The houses in Queen Square, now Pearse Square, built between 1838 and 1855, still survive.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344