Author Topic: Reverend Mark Cassidy Newtownards County Down Northern Ireland  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend Mark Cassidy Newtownards County Down Northern Ireland
« on: Thursday 31 October 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am a 4th granddaughter of Mark who was the perpetual curate of St marks ( church of  Ireland ) until 1835 when he died at 61 . I have basic information about him but am wondering if there is more to find out there . He actually is responsible for the building of St Marks . He also was an agent for the Londonderry family . My dream is to find a portrait of him . He had 8 children , his son Frederick is my forbear . Frederick came to New Zealand with his wife Martha Brown in about 1870. They also had a large family Frederick is described as a gentleman and doesn't appear to have ever worked although he was apparently also a reverend . . His wife, Martha was a maid presumably in his parents home and about 12years younger than Frederick when they married . I suspect they were encouraged to leave Ireland as the marriage would definitely not been condoned by Fredericks family . Does this story ring any bells . Any information would be great !!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Mark Cassidy Newtownards County Down Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 October 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
The National Library of Ireland has
"About 130 documents relating to the activities of Rev. Mark Cassidy, curate of Newtownards, as an advisory agent for the Marquis of Londonderry's estates in Co. Down, including references to the charity schools at Newtownards and Comber and elections, local politics, etc., 1810-39."
http://sources.nli.ie/Record/MS_UR_018589

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Would be worth contacting the church to see if they know of any portrait- might have a plaque in the church or gravestone that could be photographed if nothing else.
http://www.stmarksnewtownards.co.uk/index.html

Meanwhile, there is this memorial window-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beechgarave/7986612930/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 November 13 00:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input . I was aware of the window and other information . I haven't been able to access the PRONI papers as I am in Australia . I might contact them and see whether there is a way of reading these  :)

Offline Geoffrey Darling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marianne - distant cousin. I am Geoffrey Darling and also am descended from Frederick  -my grandfather Fred Darling's grandfather. I can tell you lots and am trying to get it altogether for a visit to Ireland for the 200th anniversary of St Mark's Newtownards  - where I have been before  (2011)
and saw the Cassidy window
I am attaching a lot of stuff, including the start of my yarn about my great-grandmother Alice  -  -
I would love to find out if their migration to NZ was part of the Vogel immigration scheme to redress the balance of men and women in the new colony.
I had to put this in .txt which is the format this site handles  - hope you can convert it

I am at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoffrey , I don't know when you posted this but I haven't had a look on Roots chat for a while . Lovely to hear from you .I live in Melbourne . It's great to read your research . I have some interesting stuff to add regarding Marks younger brother Francis who fought at Waterloo.his children emigrated to Melbourne , the daughter marrying Samuel Lazarus who ended up being the foreman of the jury at Ned Kelly's trial . Being a New Zealander maybe that doesn't mean much to you ? I don't seem to be able to contact you except on Roots chat . Are you on Facebook ? I am . I would love to know more about the Cassidis in the Uk . A friend of mine visited the house in Magherafelt where it was bought by a property developer and restored . anyway if you want to talk more that would be great . Marianne

Offline Geoffrey Darling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 October 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Marianne - I see I need to post three times before I can PM  - and I checked your name on Facebook  - so many to chose from >:(- I can get round this I think by putting in another couple of posts - that might do it  - anyway  I have enclosed a photo of a family tree that mentions Frederick's military brother, who appears to have inherited the estate. We drove past when in Magherafelt (still cant pronounce it like the locals) but could just see fabulous and forbidding high walls. Fascinating about the Ned Kelly link - " such is life"   - I'll post again and that might throw open the PM switch- cheers
PS  - it was the pic file was too large max 500 whatsits