Author Topic: Reverend Mark Cassidy Newtownards County Down Northern Ireland  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Geoffrey Darling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Mark Cassidy Newtownards County Down Northern Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
But it can put the family tree photo on an email attachment to you when I can contact you by PM ( I presume that is personal message) - after this third post.
We took pictures of Mark's grave when in Ireland  . That was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, acting Mark's Gospel in the church great-great-great granddad Mark built. As I told the congregation, if felt more like being home than I ever thought a fourth-generation Kiwi could imagine. Wonderful welcome on the bicentennial year.  Thanks for the news about Francis  - at Waterloo no less!  - and he was also in the Indian Mutiny according to this family tree photo

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Marianne,

Succession lists of the Diocese of Dromore, by Henry B. Swanzy, Dean of Dromore, and edited by Canon J.B. Leslie (Carswell, Belfast 1933, price 7s. 6d.) has this entry for Frederick under curates of Dromara:

4th son of the Rev. Mark Cassidy, Chancellor of Kilfenora and Rector of Newtownards; born Down; T.C.D. 18 Oct. 1830 aged 17 BA 1838; Vicar of Grindon, Durham; died unm. 27 Aug. 1882.

Something doesn't figure there!  Burke's Irish Family Records says Frederick d. 4 Sep. 1890 (no further details) and it was his younger brother William who was vicar of Grindon and d. in 1882.

Have you tried Alumni Dublinenses?  See whether it's available as a Google Book or on the Mormon web site.

There's a long entry for Mark in the succession lists for the diocese of Down.
Too much to transcribe, but if you like to send me a P.M. with your eMail address I could scan it for you.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoffrey . How amazing to be there for the 200 th anniversary and be doing your reading . That's very special. I would love to see some portraits of these people but I guess if any were ever painted they have long been lost . I do have a photo of Annie Cassidy who was Frederick and Martha's oldest child and my great great grandmother . Francis Cassidy was Marks younger brother but didn't seem to measure up . He seems to have been a rather troubled person because he ended up in London destitute after coming out of the army .He tried to set up school but there was too much competition and it failed . After requests from a friend to Mark , Mark got him a clerical job with the Marquis of Londonderry . He died in London before his children emigrated to Australia . I don't think he and Mark got on at all . Probably another black sheep!

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Wee Hugh , thanks for that , yes it's actually a wrong entry . It's caused quite a bit of confusion and has effectively written Frederick out of the picture .

Offline Marianne Isaacs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marianne - distant cousin. I am Geoffrey Darling and also am descended from Frederick  -my grandfather Fred Darling's grandfather. I can tell you lots and am trying to get it altogether for a visit to Ireland for the 200th anniversary of St Mark's Newtownards  - where I have been before  (2011)
and saw the Cassidy window
I am attaching a lot of stuff, including the start of my yarn about my great-grandmother Alice  -  -
I would love to find out if their migration to NZ was part of the Vogel immigration scheme to redress the balance of men and women in the new colony.
I had to put this in .txt which is the format this site handles  - hope you can convert it
Hello Geoffrey, here I am back on rootschat and I decided to find myself on Facebook and realised that I am listed as being in London which was true at the time but not now . My picture is a rather warped picture which my son took (haha) so you should be able to find me .just make sure you look for Isaacs rather than Isaac

I am at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php