Author Topic: Rees - Jones  (Read 2434 times)

Offline sneezy5471

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rees - Jones
« on: Thursday 31 October 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello All        CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ,     DO YOU HAVE A DAVID REES ,Cardiganshire , Wales , who Married ,   JONES of St Peters Carmarthen , " Chapel " .           
Would love to hear from you , please .

David Rees married  Sophia Guichard ( born 1836 ) , her father was a Frenchman .

Hoping ,     Thanks ,      Best regards     Dave         ( Trying to locate my WELSH ROOTS )

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rees - Jones
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 October 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Was the David Jones who married Sophia Guichard the son of David Rees who married the Jones of Carmarthen?

And what are you hoping to discover?
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I do have Rees and Jones in my own tree but they're not from Cardiganshire. Anyway, I had a look around but it's not clear where your Reeses come from. The 1861 census has Cardigan and Aberavon (which isn't in Cardigan, although Aberaeron is), 1891 has Aberystwyth (which IS in Cardigan and not all that far from Aberystwyth) but then, the London enumerator probably didn't understand the Welsh words.

The 1851 London census has a David Rees (carpenter) and a son David Rees (carpenter) born in Wales; if this is them, then David Rees Snr's wife is Sarah; if they married in a Carmarthen chapel it might be more difficult to find the marriage record. Are you sure they married in Carmarthen? It's not close to either Aberavon or Aberystwyth really.

You may already know this of course, but it was quite exciting for me trying to trace them

Cheers
RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 November 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
the enumerator's writing on the 1861 may say Aberaeron which has been transcribed as Aberavon.

Looking back at the Rees family, is this them in 1851?

4 Water Lane, St Ann Blackfriars HO107/1528 folio 50 pg 14
David Rees head mar 50 carpenter b. Wales
Sarah wife 49 b. Wales
David son 16 carpenter b. Wales
Edward son 19 carpenter b. England

Edward was baptised 6-3-1831 at St Botolph, Bishopgate, son of David, carpenter, & Sarah. Edward married Charlotte Abel 12-7-1885.

Where does your info about Carmarthen come from? Do you mean the family was non-conformist? Edward's baptism was in the establised church and prior to the start of civil registration in 1837, you're unlikely to find a marriage in a non-conformist church as they weren't legal and would have meant any children would be illegitimate.

There was a marriage in St Mary's Cardigan of a David Rees and Sarah Eliza Jones of St Peter's Carmarthen 13-9-1825.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 18:53 GMT (UK) »
following on from your pm, do you have any info to suggest that your Sarah Rees was Sarah Eliza? The marriage wasn't in Carmarthen, but in Cardigan and there is no sign that the family is non-conformist. Without something more concrete about places of birth, there's not much chance to be sure of identifying a baptism for either parent. All I've seen so far is an age on the 1851 census, without even a county of birth & the names are common. 

Could you confirm that the family I found is the correct one?  Do you have them on a later census with more detail?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline sneezy5471

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

I intend visiting the Nat Archives , hopefully next week .       I will tell you what-ever I discover .

Thank you again ,     much appreciated .          :) :)

Best regards            Dave