Author Topic: Ross-shire (Ross and Cromarty) DNA project  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross-shire (Ross and Cromarty) DNA project
« on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have started a new DNA project aimed at people whose most distant ancestor in the direct male line (Y-DNA) was from the county of Ross-shire (Ross and Cromarty)

It is free to anyone who has already been tested via the Family Tree DNA website. All you have to do is join the project. Otherwise you would need to pay for a DNA testing kit.

The project is not surname orientated. It is geographically orientated. Anyone tracing their direct paternal ancestry back to the county of Ross can take part, no matter what surname. However as men only carry the Y chromosome - only men can take part.

The Family Tree DNA website: www.familytreedna.com/‎

Once you have got an account check the projects page and you will find it listed under "R" in the geographical projects.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ross-shire (Ross and Cromarty) DNA project
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, is this project still active? I've recently found out that my great great grandfather was born in Ross-shire in about 1822 and would consider participating
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, is this project still active? I've recently found out that my great great grandfather was born in Ross-shire in about 1822 and would consider participating

Hi the Ross-shire Y-DNA project is still active, but there is no longer an administrator for it. I was the only administrator but resigned due to lack of participation in the project. You can only take part if your DNA sample is from a man and ideally that the direct male paternal line is where your connection to Ross-shire is.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a direct male descendant Not sure where my great great grandfather was actually born as I am still trying to trace that but I know he was living in Tain in the 1871 Scotland census and his place of birth is shown as Ross shire. I noticed Ancestry.com are promoting a DNA test so would that be eligible for your study?
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area