Author Topic: BROPHY of Baunaghra, Clandonagh, Laois  (Read 8848 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BROPHY of Baunaghra, Clandonagh, Laois
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cadbury1407. Below this message, to the left you will see two icons: one a head and shoulders (place cursor over it and it will sat "profile" and next to it a green writing pad (?) (place the cursor over it and it will say 'Personal Message". Click on that and send a message that will go thru Rootschat to me without Rootschat divulging your name to me or anyone else.
Regards
francoso

Offline Noddy01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 July 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
I know it's a long time since you posted this inquiry, but I may be able to assist. Kyran Brophy was my great grandfather, and I have the name of the ship he came to Australia on. I'm from the New Zealand branch of the family.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 July 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Noddy 01. I have the following in my Notes re Kyran coming to Australia but I have not been able to find when he came from Australia to NZ and on which ship.

"Kyran Brophy was born at Baunaghra (Townland), Clandonagh (Barony), Erke (Parish), Donaghmore (Poor Law Union), RC Parish of Galmoy, Laois (Queen's County), Ireland, on 20 Aug 1838, son of Martin Brophy and Annie Doolan. From "Cyclopedia of New Zealand" (entries written themselves) "He was brought up to farming on his father's farm. In 1859 he left for Melbourne in the ship 'Constantine' and worked in Victoria for two years. He then came to New Zealand, went on the Otago goldfields, and struck a good claim on the Arrow River, where his party cleared £800 per man in twelve months. After that he visited the Wakamarina and the West Coast, where he made £250 in a short time. On coming to Canterbury he bought his present farm at Pleasant Valley, near Geraldine, in 1866 (at the time of his death he owned several other farms in the area)."

Any info on his passage from Oz to NZ would be appreciated.

What is your line from Kyran and Letitia Brown, his wife ?
Regards
francoso

Offline kylebrophy74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
Francoso - the message you posted is pretty correct - I live in Australia and Kyran Brophy was my great grandfather. I actually stumbled across your post!

Hello - i too am a great-grandchild of Kyran Brophy.

I have once again - it would appear hit this Martin Brophy / Annie Doolan roof on the family tree (im on myheritage.com now)...