Author Topic: James Kelly 1895-1927  (Read 8764 times)

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kelly 1895-1927
« on: Friday 01 November 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
On January 5 1916, James KELLY married Nellie RICHARDSON in the Mansfield Registry Office.
He was 20, a miner serving as a Private in the Notts & Derby/Sherwood Foresters Regiment, number 15846.
Home address 3 Bells Yard, Westgate, Mansfield recorded on the marriage certificate.
He died age 32, the death was registered in Pontefract, Yorkshire, in  February 1927.
His father, also James Kelly, a miner, was serving in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. (Same home address)

When and where was my granddad born?
Who was his mother?
Where was she from?
Did he have any siblings?
Who were they?
Who else lived in that  house?
Where was James senior from?

Nellie was 19, born in Mansfield in 1896.
Her parents were Bertha and Thomas Arthur Richardson.
Siblings, Elizabeth Ann, Gladys, Arthur and Joyce.
Home address 57 Moor Street, Mansfield

Their children were James Arthur, Mary Teresa and Doreen Winifred.

My apologies in advance if this request is in the wrong place, this is my first posting.
I really hope someone can provide the missing link which will allow me to positively identify my granddad, I know so much and yet he remains a mystery.
Many thanks to any who read this
jj

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kelly 1895-1927
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Did he have a middle name?

Possible 1901
77 Duchess Street, Bulwell
James Kelly 30 married, coàl miner hewer bn Shropshire Wellington
Elizabeth 29 bn Nottingham
Margaret A 6 bn Not.
James W 5 bn Not.
Ellen 1 bn Not.

We cant do 1911 look ups, sorry.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, I'll investigate this lead.
We thought he had a middle name but his marriage & death certificates only say James.

Thank you again for what you have done for us, it's very kind

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage, which ties in with the census we cannot mention, Mar 1894 Basford 7b/310 James Kelly and Elizabeth Cutts.
A birth, which ties with son James- being 20 on his marriage, Sep 1896 Mansfield 7b/64 James Kelly
There is a medal card for the James with the number  you quote. He also had another number 13010 when he was with the Machine Gun corps- a sergeant.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. A "nerdy" neighbour followed your clever detective work into the National Achives.
So far there is a very good fit, we'll try to get the records in the very near future. Close examination of his medals confirm Pte & SJT (SGT) J Kelly, no second initial, but I understand that names & ages were a bit "flexible" during WW1.
It's possible he might also have had a third medal, something else to investigate.
Many, many thanks for your wonderful work, it's greatly appreciated.
j

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Victory Medal, British Medal, Star.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again.
We have the 1914-15 Star and the Allied Victory medal. The third is lost but I believe can be replaced.
j

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 November 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
lizdb and especially Larkspur, have put a tremendous amount of time and effort into finding James Kelly son of James Kelly father of James Kelly. I don't have sufficient words to express my thanks, thank you seems inadequate, but it's all I have.
Larkspur has found a compelling great granddad, but is he MY great granddad?
It may even be possible to find him through grandmother's family, someone may know about the handsome young soldier who married the gorgeous red head!
Larkspur has discovered he was also a serjeant (their spelling) in the Machine Gun Corps and has sent links.
His army/war details may be among those lost in WW2, but his medal card remains.
It is, of course, possible that I'm looking in the wrong county. He was in Notts & Derby Regiment, his father in King's Own YORKSHIRE Light Infantry, died in Yorkshire. Was great granddad a Yorkie or just "filling in" after the horrible losses of the first 2 years?
2 of his children were Yorkies, only the eldest born in Mansfield.
The search continues, with grateful thanks to lizdb & Larkspur and all who have read this posting.
j

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;) you are welcome.