Author Topic: Elizabeth Paterson  (Read 7370 times)

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Paterson
« on: Sunday 03 November 13 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me with a mystery. I have an Elizabeth Paterson in my family tree who was born in 4th June 1826 in Strathblane Stirlingshire scotland but all the evidence i have suggests she has a mother called Elizabeth McGowan, who lived in denny also at some point, and yet a professional researcher who has done a family tree for my family suggests that elizabeth's mother is a Catherine Ferguson of Old Monkland who marries a James Paterson also of old monkland. Can someone suggest how this could be the case.?

T. :P

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Was her married name Gillespie? Strangely there is a public tree on a*cy which has a death cert in the media gallery for Elizabeth Gillespie with parents clearly shown as Alexander Paterson and Elizabeth McGowan but the compiler has put James Paterson and Catherine Ferguson as the names of her parents on the tree. Seems odd to me!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
T., people probably need a little more info that you may have to be able to comment...

What is the source of her date of birth?
Why do you think her mother was called Elizabeth McGowan?
Have you got further certificates for Elizabeth Paterson - MC/DC?
Have you found Elizabeth Paterson on early censuses?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family group that you think belongs to the Elizabeth Paterson you are looking at? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MC4J-S15

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
As William mentions, there are a number of trees on Ancestry for Elizabeth's family. The one that I have been looking at also includes Elizabeth Gillespie/Paterson's death cert with parents showing as Alexander and Elizabeth McGowan. This tree also shows that Elizabeth McGowan likely died young and father Alexander remarried a Janet Stevenson in 1833. From other details, this looks like them in 1841:

Alexander Paterson 45, C W (likely carpet weaver, from this and also later census and his DC)
Janet Paterson 35
Elisabeth Paterson 14
Duncan Paterson 12

Address: Bannockburn

Monica

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 December 13 17:24 GMT (UK) »
 :)that looks like the one. don't know how this works but could either be elizabeth mcgowan or catherine ferguson as elizabeth's mother the one i have from a professional researcher says catherine ferguson but the information i keep on getting suggests always that her mother was Elizabeth mcgowan and don't know which one is correct for certain as i don't what's gone on any further than elizabeth paterson. i know she marries robert gillespie who is my direct relative but who her mum was is seemingly pretty much open to debate as have the names you mention suggested also. really confusing.think that there must be more than one elizabeth.

T.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 December 13 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have a copy of the death certificate for Elizabeth Gillespie (M.S, Paterson)? That should name her parents.

Censuses consistantly have Elizabeth Paterson born in St Ninians c1828, where she married Robert Gillespie in 1848. If the death certificate names her parents as Alexander Paterson and Elizabeth McGowan then you need to look for a christening to match.

Andy

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 07:54 GMT (UK) »
 :-[no don't have the death certificate but working on it. so born in st ninians and not strathbane which is what i have been told. st ninians would make much more sense any idea of the date in 1828.?

t.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you see the earlier post by MILLMOOR? There is a tree on Ancestry that has a copy of the death registration of Elizabeth Gillespie (m.s. Paterson) that clearly names her parents as Alexander Paterson and Elizabeth McGowan.

I don't have a date of birth, only that censuses indicate it was about 1828.

Andy