Author Topic: Looking for Robert CROW b1850 Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland  (Read 8148 times)

Offline georattray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Robert CROW b1850 Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland
« on: Sunday 03 November 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for information about Robert Crow from Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland born about 1850. I know that he married a Margaret Willis in 1871 and that she passed away in 1897. He may have moved to the US after 1901 with his son (Robert Crow b1871) and wife imigrating later on.

Finally, many thanks to everyone in a previous forum post (2008) about his son and family, if not for the kind help given then, I would not be aware of this site.

Any information would be appreciated,
George

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Robert CROW b1850 Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi George

Welcome to Rootschat.

Not sure if this helps you at all but there is a Robert CROW in 1910 US Census living Madison Ohio. This man was born Scotland, is aged 60 and widowed, living with his nephew William R ANDERSON and nieces Margaret S and Anna ANDERSON, all born Ohio of Scottish parents.

Robert CROW gives an immigration year of 1903

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, if as you say Margaret passed away in 1897, then he is not the 56 year old occ Farmer with a Margaret 50 with others ie a Thomas 20 and Robert 11 and travelling possibly seperately a Rebecca aged 38 bound from Glasgow to Halifax on SS Pomeranian 24th March 1905?

Keyboard86

Can see the above post, but thought I would post to eliminate!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Morning Keyboard  ;D

You just saved me posting that same information..... great minds and all....
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You may already have this

1851 Robert Crow is with his grandparents James and Jane Crow in Inveralmond, Midcalder.
1861 He is with his aunt Margaret Crow and is a carter.
1871 He is with his wifes parents Thomas Willis and Ann (m/s Smith). Also present are Elizabeth Willis born 12 Dec 1868 and Ann Willis b 5 May 1866. The entries on Family Search suggest that they were Margarets illegitimate children before she married Robert. There is also an entry  on Family Search for a William Petrie or Willis b 9 April 1865 with parents named as David Petrie and Margaret Willis.

Roberts parents would appear to have been Robert Crow, a ploughman and Jean Duncan.

Regards

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline georattray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 November 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi karenlee and keyboard86,

Many thanks for the quick feedback and the lead for the US Census in 1910 Ohio.  I've double checked the death of Margaret and I belive this to be correct, thus confirming he is indeed a widower.  I forgot to mention he was a shale miner, was there any mention of that occupation within the detail you found I wonder?

So I'll start looking for related family (ANDERSON) and see if it all ties up....

Thanks again,
George

Offline georattray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 November 13 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millmoor,

Thank you for the information you have supplied. I was not aware of Robert from Inveralmond. I'll need to investigate the detaill you've given me to see if it ties up with the records I have at hand.  Hopefully a bit of investigation may rule him in or out as I don't want to filter out any of the Robert CROW persons around Midlothian between 1860-1900.

All the best,
George

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 November 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 record I found has been transcribed as surname Craw on Ancestry. Midcalder is very near to Kirknewton and East Calder

My g grandfather was also an oil shale worker in Kirknewton and worked for the Oakbank company. There is some interesting info and photos online if you google the company name.

Cheers

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline georattray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 November 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milmoor,

Thanks for the further update on Robert CROW and the potential for alternative spellings :) Hopefully this information will help me find out more detail much more quickly.

It's interesting that you mention the Oakbank Company as most of the family I've researched around that period of time had affiliation in one way or another.  I'll do more research into them - top tip!

Cheers,
George