Author Topic: Looking for Robert CROW b1850 Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland  (Read 8144 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Robert CROW b1850 Kirknewton, Midlothian, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 November 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »

The 1920 valuation roll has 1 hit for Thomas Crow in Kirknewton and 1 for a Robert Crow in Kirkliston. Run out of credits and so cant check further.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 November 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thought I'd follow up Thomas. 1881 census shows him staying with his grandfather, Thomas Willis and sister Jean. 1891 census shows Robert, wife Margaret and Thomas is back staying with them. Margaret Willis is listed on DC as first wife. As previously posted, she died in 1897.
Looked for a marriage between Robert and second wife, Annie Barr. Couldn't find marriage or a death for Annie.
Marriage to third wife, Margaret or Maggie Cochrane was in 1906. She died in Portobello in 1931.

Mags

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 November 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Mags, your find of a death for a Thomas Willis Crow in 1940 looks likely. His birth is registered with this middle name too https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ5X-G2V and death age matches this 1872 birth year (+1).

William, from what you have found on the 1920 Valuation Rolls, good indication of where they were for that year isn't (t.b.c.!).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 November 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Like you Mags, cannot see a reference to an Ann Barr as a second wife for Robert Crow. He does look to have lived a busy life though...

George, is it your tree on a/try? There are a number of them. Robert Crow Snr. is showing as having had an illegitimate daughter in 1898 ( 19th Jun 1898 at Currievale, Currie. Born to Jane Smith, Farm Outworker, and Robert Crow, Shale Miner. Registered by Jane Smith, Mother, and Robert Crow, Father). Always the possibility that the Robert Crow in question for that 1898 birth could be Robert Crow Jnr b. 1871, who married Julia Reid in 1910....

Monica

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 November 13 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello George,

billiongraves.com/‎

This site has gravestones online for Crow family members in some areas of West Lothian. Don't know if they are your family, however still worth a look.

Mags

Offline georattray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mamad, MonicaL & Milmoor,

Many thanks for your help so far. I've gone away from the idea that Robert CROW b1850 did go to the US due to the fantastic evidence you've found, I also agree he does seem to have a busy life...  My tree is on Ancestry under account georger170 and has Mary Smith Crow b1898 whom is my Grandmother. The two glaring pieces of evidence here to try and identify [ with large doses of speculation ;) ] is that he was illiterate and a shale miner.

The evidence I have for Robert CROW b1871 (shale miner) which was my original candidate as the father has ruled out in preference to his father; as his signature shows up on other paperwork for his children and marriage. He then married a Julia Reid and moved to the US.

Also I did manage to get to 1901 with the census records, was going to search for 1911, so thanks for identifying the records here. Finally I too could not find the second marriage, which is of interest in the overall timeline.

Wow, best sit down and put it all together as there's a lot to take in....

Cheers,
George

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Shucks, George, Mary is your Gran! Your tree on a/try is great - I particularly liked your stories around Mary  :)

Just one thing though...particularly for this period for Robert Snr., not sure if you are seeing original signatures on his children's BC's. Is this what you are working from?

Robert Jnr married Julia much later after Mary was born in 1898. So still a contender I would think at this stage.

I wonder if from the employement records of shale miners around late 1890s you could plot where the two Roberts, father and son, were? Maybe a question for the Shale Museum site. I have emailed with the site owner in the past...worth asking the question as the site has I am sure continued to grow in the archiving of the records and resources.

Monica

Offline Mjbum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »

George,
I am working on my husbands family tree and came across this. Julia Maria Crow also known as Nee Reid born July 21, 1887 is my husbands great grandmother. Martha Reid Crow was his grandmother. If you would like to email me I can give you the list of Martha's daughters. Julia is buried at Woodlawn cemetery in Joliet Illinois.
Thank you,
Jessica