Author Topic: KERMODE Mary b/abt 1865 Douglas-Father John-Publican  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Biro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KERMODE Mary b/abt 1865 Douglas-Father John-Publican
« on: Wednesday 06 November 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Anyone else tracing this family line? Mary KERMODE was born 1864/5 Douglas, her father was a Publican. At the time of her marriage on 3rd Feb 1890 at Kirk Braddon, IOM, she was living at 24 Victoria Street, Douglas. She married John ROBERTS-Joiner

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: KERMODE Mary b/abt 1865 Douglas-Father John-Publican
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
In 1889 24 Victoria St (the new street in the heart of Douglas) was a shop run by Moore & Burr drapers - in 1881 census at 24 Oxford st Douglas there is a 17 yr old Mary E Kermode, dressmaker, dau of Wm Kermode (a builder) (she appears to be only match)
Have you looked at www.imuseum.im
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Biro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frances, thank you for your reply. I have a copy of their marriage certificate and she states her father is John - a Publican. I have done some research and I haven't been able to find Mary's birth record or a John KERMODE who is a Publican on the IOM, hence my appeal for help. Thank you again

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 13 19:44 GMT (UK) »
look at John Leece Kermode - would appear to have married at least 3 times - in 1881 running Halfway House on Peel road (tho age is wrong suspect 58 not the 68 in mormon transcription (bapt Douiglas St Matthews 18220602)- chk with image on ancestry?) - in 1851 age 28 and running an unnamed tavern at 41 North Quay Douglas - married Margt Kelly in 1869 and Margt Eliz Cain in 1876 - in 1851 wife was Elizth (Elizth Cowin from bapt of son Wm Leece Kermode in Port St Mary where John was an Innkeeper) but think Elizth bur Bra 18590808 age 40 - in 1861 John was a widower still at 41 North Quay
if age of Mary was correct then if John was father then there is a missing marriage (not on www.imuseum.im) or Mary was illeg - maybe a search of 1871 census for a Mary of correct age!
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Biro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 13 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frances, thank you once again for your efforts, it's quite a number or years since I looked at this family line, and what you have offered shows I needed a fresh look. When I visited the IOM to look at records, I could not find Mary's birth/baptismal record, as you have pointed out she could have been born out of marriage. In the 1901 census she gives her age as 38yrs (b.1863/4); she died in August 1926 aged 60yrs (born 1865/6).

There is a John KERMODE - Publican b.1845 in Douglas that certainly lead me up the wrong path, I was so sure it was him.

I think there is a strong possibility that John Leece Kermode could be her father, Mary being born out of marriage and then John L marrying in 1869 to Margaret KELLY, who could be her mother. Thank you once again.