Author Topic: Matthew Cardiff???  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Sammy An

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Cardiff???
« on: Wednesday 06 November 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a birth on the Isle of Man for a Matthew Cardiff, he became a wealthy ship builder in Dublin by the late 1700's, I do however know that he originally came for the Isle of Man.

He died in Dublin in 1803, I was hoping someone may be able to find him earlier in the 1700's????

Sammy.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cardiff???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
the only ref I can find to the very non-Manx name of Cardiff was a decree (in Episcopal wills 1738 book 2)for a Patrick Cardiff in 1738 wch stated perished by sea bay of biscay 4 yrs ago;no relation or creditor[on Island] - the parish was Malew but this may be because Castletown, the then capital where the courts were, is in Malew (Douglas was even by then the main commercial centre) - recall also that the IoM between 1690 and 1765 ran a large running trade (smuggling to the Irish + English+ Scottish governments) with a very large number of Irish involved - sometimes the death of a merchant led to major court case as associates disputed claims
any thing with a Manx Connection

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.