Author Topic: George Lamont Horn 1903-1976.  (Read 6753 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Lamont Horn 1903-1976.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 November 13 03:04 GMT (UK) »
So...

Is born in Scotland around 1872, possibly 1 year either side. (All the records I have found say she is Scottish)

Violet K Thomson travels to Valparaiso, Chile in 1896.
She travels back as Mrs Violet Kemp Horn in 1902.
She has George in Nov 1903 (although too late to be conceived in Chile).

Sometime between 1903 and 1922, she moves to Scotland, where she is listed as a Housewife.
Emigrates to Sydney, Australia in 1922.
Dies in Geelong, Victoria, 1946.

That is IF these all link together!!

I'm now looking for the person she was living with in Scotland, as she cannot be living on her own and be listed as a housewife, surely?!

George would have also been 18/19 years old IF she moved to Australia, and would have been old enough to stay!

Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 November 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »

Is born in Scotland around 1872, possibly 1 year either side. (All the records I have found say she is Scottish)

Violet K Thomson travels to Valparaiso, Chile in 1896.
She travels back as Mrs Violet Kemp Horn in 1902.
She has George in Nov 1903 (although too late to be conceived in Chile).
Sometime between 1903 and 1922, she moves to Scotland, where she is listed as a Housewife.
Emigrates to Sydney, Australia in 1922.
Dies in Geelong, Victoria, 1946.
Chris

Yes - thats about it!

The fact that the Horne death in Australia gives her fathers name as Thomson ,  plus the fact that the person who has her in a tree on Ancestry has got from somewhere that she married a Horne (their tree is actually based on one of her siblings, they are following the Thomsons in Scotland, so it gives theimpression that maybe the name Horne just came from a family member's memory of who sister Violet married, as there is no evidence to back it up) , leads me to believe we have put together the correct scenario.

If I were you - I'd be contacting that person to find out what they know, or have heard about her. Plus investigating Australian records (isnt that where you are?) to find out more from those electoral rolls to see who else is at that address, (William, or not?) plus getting the death cert to see what other clues that can give, and also finding out more from "Scotlands People" about her birth (parents Robert and Agnes) and whether she (or young George) are with them in 1911.
Rome wasnt built in a day, and this too might take some time to follow up all leads.

But I am not you!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 November 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
As Liz says, the next step is to get her death certificate - I believe Australian certificates give more information than UK ones. It is a shame that she appears to have married in South America as it will be hard to track that down. If it is her, as seems very probable, she certainly led an interesting life. Please keep us informed with what you discover.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 November 13 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I'd love to thank everyone for all your help!

I knew when I started this line, it wasn't going to be straight forward, and I am certainly looking forward to the challenges ahead!

I will contact the person on Ancestry with the tree! And you're right Liz, I am in Adelaide, so I will be able to get the death certificate quite quickly, hopefully :)

Will certainly keep you informed! Thank you again! :)
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 January 14 05:29 GMT (UK) »
An update after nearly 2 months!

I have been able to contact the lady on Ancestry, however she unfortunately put together this section of a tree for someone else. She managed to contact the person who may have possibly known more about this branch, but the person came back with nothing.
So unfortunately, that road has been blocked off.

My next step will be to get the death certificate!

I have managed to go further back and have found that George Meikle Kemp, is the brother of Violet's grandmother, also named Violet. I have been able to find more about him on the internet.
He married the daughter of famous painter, William Bonnar.

Chris
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
An update after three and a half years!! Some brick walls seem unsolvable.

George Lamont Horn: 1903-1976
Birth certificate was ordered. William Nixon Horn and Violet Kemp Thomson are his parents (according to the certificate).
He disappears from all records until 1930-something, where he is actually in the newspaper. He is charged with entering into a bigamist marriage with Nellie Greenfield (Ellen Linfield was fake name used by my G-Grandmother). They illegally marry in 1933 and legally in 1938.

William Nixon Horn: 1868-?
Unlike George, William's early life is well documented and then he disappears from the face of the earth. Born in 1868 in Glasgow, parents George Horn and Mary Nixon. Lives at home into his twenties and is listed as an Analytical Chemist before heading to Chile for work in 1896. He marries Violet Kemp Thomson, who I assume met in Glasgow. She followed him out later.
Violet returns to Scotland for a year and a half but when she returns William has turned to alcohol and "lost his situation".
Violet actually lodges for divorce in 1907, claiming that in 1901, William abandoned her in Chile and returned to the UK (immigration/shipping record found late 1901). Violet returns in 1902 (immigration/shipping record a few months later than William's) but when she returns, William had apparently already left for Australia.
No more records for William have been found.

Violet Kemp Thomson: 1872-1946
Parents are Robert Thomson and Agnes Aitchison. After returning to Scotland, she has George in November 1903. Violet is listed in 1911 back in Scotland, but claims to have never had children. She emigrates to Australia and lives in Geelong where she continues working as a maternity nurse and dies in 1946. She uses Horn(e) until her death and her death certificate states that she was a widow of William.

Questions that haven't been answered;
If William left for Australia before Violet returned to the UK in early 1902, then William cannot be George's father (b.NOV 1903).

Where on earth is William after 1902?

Why are there no records for George for 30 years?

What I'm thinking at the moment;
George went into a home (or equivalent) when he was born. He was born in Croydon, England, where there are no family links whatsoever. Violet returned to Scotland in 1902 and she is there again in 1911.

I found one record that was a bit later than stated, in Feb 1903, that a 'Wm Horn' was shipped to Fremantle, Austraila and claimed that Melbourne was his destination port. If this is my William Horn, then that techically COULD match up with George's birth AND would explain a little why Violet ended up in the same state of Victoria (albeit a few decades later).

It is a possibility, but William may not be George's father. I don't like to think this as Horn is my family name but, accept this is a possibility.

Any further help would be amazing! Sorry it's been so long since I updated.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 March 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Sorry I have not gone back through the post

Birth certificate was ordered. William Nixon Horn and Violet Kemp Thomson are his parents (according to the certificate).

Was Violet the informant.
What was the birth address
What was his fathers occupation
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Sorry I have not gone back through the post

Was Violet the informant.
What was the birth address
What was his fathers occupation

Hello Rosie,

Thank you for your response!

Violet was the informant.
The address of birth is the same as the address of Violet's residence which is; 7 Upper Grove, South Norwood, Croydon UD. I've searched the address and found nothing of interest.
William Nixon Horn is listed as a Chemist.

Chris
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
[quote author=KentishChris link=topic=667160.msg6466379#msg6466379 date=1522390117

Hello Rosie,

Thank you for your response!

Violet was the informant.
The address of birth is the same as the address of Violet's residence which is; 7 Upper Grove, South Norwood, Croydon UD. I've searched the address and found nothing of interest.
William Nixon Horn is listed as a Chemist.

Chris
[/quote]

I know where that is, as you say nothing of interest there, just residential property. I wonder what she was doing there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk