Author Topic: George Lamont Horn 1903-1976.  (Read 6755 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Lamont Horn 1903-1976.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 March 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Groom,

Absolutely no idea haha!
I've been trying to piece things up, to see if anything links in with the area.

Violet claims in 1911 to have not had any children (when George would have been 8 ). Her death certificate also states that she has no children.

From all the research on both William and Violet's families, no-one appears to live anywhere near London.

A strange coincidence?
On George and his wife's illegal marriage certificate, he says his father's name is John Horn and that he is deceased (chemist is his job). George's son (my grandfather) name is John. John doesn't appear anywhere else in the family. Granted, it may just have been a name that my grandfather was given, but it is odd that he also used that name on the marriage certificate. I don't have the legal certificate and they lied A LOT on the illegal one.

Violet divorced William in 1906, but kept his name, never remarried and even on her death certificate, she is listed as a 'Widow of William Horne'.

I'm just baffled by the whole thing. I feel like I'm trying to piece a puzzle together but, with only 3/4 of the pieces.
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Any idea where the Lamont bit of his name came from - is that a family name? If not it could be a clue to his father if it wasn't William.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Any idea where the Lamont bit of his name came from - is that a family name? If not it could be a clue to his father if it wasn't William.

No idea at all. First time the name pops up is George in 1903. The family were always told it was a French name, but after looking it up, its actually also Scottish.

Plot twist - (and this really is just hypothesizing), BUT, that side of the family for what seems like generations, use the mother's maiden name as their children's middle name. Hence why Violet's middle name is Kemp and hence why William's middle name is Nixon. Could Lamont come from his 'real' father's name? My Dad's DNA results were a little shock, coming back with a high % of Western Europe (this was completely unexpected). Could this be from there..?
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
Could Lamont come from his 'real' father's name?

That was what I was wondering.

No sign of George in 1911? He obviously wasn't abandoned or adopted as he seems to know a bit about his background - i.e father a chemist.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
No sign of George in 1911? He obviously wasn't abandoned or adopted as he seems to know a bit about his background - i.e father a chemist.

I haven't found him yet in 1911 or William for that matter.
Violet is in Scotland, living with a boarder - maternity nurse.
I've searched in England and Scotland but nothing. I have also searched close relatives, but nothing. I haven't found any outgoing or incoming migration records. I haven't found any school records. Basically nothing until the mid 1930's.

That is true!
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM