Author Topic: Walter Beveridge b. abt 1824  (Read 13547 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Beveridge b. abt 1824
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 November 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
As some background reading I thought this may have been of interest to you.

http://www.burntislandnet.plus.com/family-history/the%20japps%20of%20dalgety%20parish%203.htm

A bit before the period you are looking at however a Robert Beveridge (1774) the son of David Beveridge and  Christian Jaap is mentioned.

I am connected to a Walter Jaap and Elizabeth Beveridge who where married at Coaltown in 1755.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Would have thought that Catherine Beveridge should be able to be located in 1871 census if she died in 1881. I cannot see an entry. However there is an entry in 1871 for a Catherine Spowart b 1813 Townhill Fife living on her own in Morningside, Dunfermline Landward District.  Under occupation it states" husband in America".  Dod do you have the details of her address and informant from the death cert?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 November 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
William

Her address on the death certificate is "Halbeath" and the informant was her brother George Spowart (1827-1899) Woodmill Street Dunfermline. I haven't checked the 1871 Census entry but Catherine's address then was almost certainly Morningside, Halbeath, Dunfermline.
By the way, from the Dunfermline OPR, I have Catherine (Spouart) born 1804 and christened 23 Sep 1804

Dod

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 November 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I think there might be two Catherine Spowarts. Which is what is causing the confusion, or adding just to the uncertainty.

There are shipping entries for I think Walter and his son Robert going over to the US, together in 1868:

Walter Beveridge, 45, miner and Robert Beveridge, miner, aged 22 both b. Scotland. Arrived NY on the 'Caledonia' on 3 Aug 1868. Departure port Glasgow.

There is also a further entry for a Walter Beveridge, miner, also arriving in NY on 15 Jun 1869 also aged 45. Departure port Glasgow.

Toddler Walter, son of Isabella and Robert, also shows as travelling with mother Isabella, arriving into NY on the 'Iowa', from Glasgow on 13 Jul 1869. Departure port Glasgow.

By 1885, Walter Snr., widowed and aged 61, sonns Robert and his family, James and his family are all showing as living side by side, the men miners by occupation in Marcy, Boone, Iowa.

Lynn, the second marriage for Walter that you mentioned shows here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XJC9-LTH

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 November 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting about the parentage conflicts on records.   It does appear from these details that Catherine was his second wife, but why was she listed as Spowart on the 1871 census when he was in America?  Did she revert to her maiden name because of him being away?  Would be interesting to know why she didn't go to America.    I do think the 1861 census is the right family.   This is a great collection of wonderful details and clues, great to have this info!   

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 November 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was wondering that also if there are two Catherine Spowarts.   I need to print out these details and look at them closer.   

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 November 13 00:00 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census

Halbeath Dunfermline

McLean          Allan                M      40    Coal Miner       Fife
Spowart/McLean Catherine     F       36                         Fife
Hunter Christian                    F         8                         Fife

The above is as transcribed on Freecen. It looks like Catherine Spowart lived for most of her life at Halbeath. Note both her maiden and married names are used.
This might explain a little about the maiden /married name question.
http://scottishgenealogyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/use-of-maiden-surname-in-scotland.html
Quite often widowed women reverted to their maiden names. Perhaps Catherine didn't want to go to the USA and never expected to see Walter again :-\ You may never know why she was left behind.
I couldn't find any children born to Catherine and her first husband or to Walter. I don't know who Christian Hunter is or what relationship she has to the couple.
There was another Catherine Spowart living in Dunfermline on 1841 and 1851 Census who confusingly married a Thomas Spowart. This couple had children, at least 5 between the two Census years,
Looby :)

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 November 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I have Christian Hunter McLean as Allan and Catherine's daughter. Allan's mother was Janet Hunter. I'll recheck the Census entry.

Dod

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I think the Thomas and Catherine that Spowart that Looby found are also in the 1871 census living in Dunfermline (1861 they are in Beath).

Also noticed in 1851 census living in Halbeath are a Joseph Spowart married to a Sarah Beveridge. Among their children is an Allen McLean Spowart. Another connection between Spowarts and Beveridges or a coincidence?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)