Author Topic: Walter Beveridge b. abt 1824  (Read 13544 times)

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Beveridge b. abt 1824
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 November 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas and Catherine Spowart that Looby found were members of the Mormon Church and moved to USA in the 1870s. Catherine's maiden name was Spowart also. Thomas was the brother of Catherine, wife of Allan McLean and Walter Beveridge. Thomas and Catherine's daughter Christina shared a Mormon husband with Jane Beveridge, also from Halbeath. Yes, there are many Spowart/Beveridge connections.

Dod

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dod. There seems to have been quite a lot of migration from the Fife coalfield to Utah during the mid 19th century. The Mormon Migration site is an excellent way of finding shipping records for the migrants.

Googled Thomas Spowart Utah, Dod and the death of his daughter Catherine in Dunfermline came up in Google Books.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 November 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi William

Yes, Thomas and Catherine lost 3 daughters in Dunfermline between 1869 and 1873 in Dunfermline. Thomas was the informant at daughter Margaret's death in 1873. Remaining  daughter, Helen, emigrated to USA in 1874. His son, William,  remained in Dunfermline until he died in 1908.

Joseph Spowart, who married Sarah Beveridge, was another of Catherine's brothers.

I rechecked the 1841 Census entry for Christian Hunter and I was wrong in my belief that she was listed as McLean. No relationship was mentioned - she could have been a niece.

Dod

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 November 13 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, great research from all of you on clearing up the duplicate Catherines!  Really glad there were records to get that all straight.    Iowa had numerous coal mines around the turn of the century and many immigrants ended up here for that reason.   Interestingly, this friend's parental side (Beveridge is the maternal) were also coal miners, some former slaves from Virginia that ended up in the Iowa town of Buxton which was very unique for its time as there was racial harmony.   As soon as I saw Buxton on those family censuses, I immediately was thrilled as I knew what a unique town it was from prior interest in history. 

Very glad to have this information I would not have otherwise had access to.   I will hopefully get more time tomorrow to look this over and add to the tree now that you have all these facts.   Thanks!

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I've got the tree updated with all of this information, thanks!   First wife, Janet died between about 1848 (Betsy's birth) and 1851 before his marriage to Catherine Spowart McLean - I'm wondering if she died at Betsy's birth. 

This is the last record I have located with Walter is the 1885 Iowa censu, death records were sparse before 1900, but may have the key if we can look at the Boone county records sometime.

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Lynnd08

We've come a long way from your original post asking about Walter's family but I noticed a point about Margaret, his mother. In the 1841 Census she was listed as "Foreign Born" but the box was only ticked - there was no code for location (E = England or Wales, I = Ireland, F=Foreign).
Doesn't add much to information about her I'm afraid.

Given her age or around 60 in 1841 it is possible that she is the Margaret Beveridge who, along with James Beveridge, on July 2nd 1804 were rebuked by Dalgety Church for their "irregular marriage", paid a fine and were recognised then as "married persons". Following that the OPR of Births for Dalgety show Alexander Beveridge b. 12 May 1805 and Thomas Beveridge b. 03 May 1815 the James Beveridge and Margaret Beveridge. Could they be much older sibs of Walter?

Dod

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this has all added so much more information than I had!   These are more good leads, sounds very possible for James and Margaret, as at her age at Walter's birth (about 43), very possible he was the youngest and had much older siblings.    Wish I had this many good leads on my own family :)

I also found a record on Find a Grave that I wondered if was possibly James, as fits with him dying before 1841 census - but with no birth date, or other details, can't be sure.   
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=beveridge&GSfn=james&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GScntry=50&GSob=n&GRid=116906179&df=all&

Birth:    unknown
Death:    Jul., 1835

Note: Beveridge, James BuriedOn: 30 Jul 1835 Recorded at: Churchyards of Kirkton and St Columbas (Fife) Date of death 30 Jul 1835

Burial:
Saint Columba's Parish Churchyard
Kirkcaldy
Fife, Scotland

Offline lynnd08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I also found this tree on ancestry which seems to be the same family, without Walter.  I also found another tree (but there was an issue with the site's security certificate) which listed Margaret's last name as Penman, but I closed it down with the error so didn't get to view the details.   Depending on how well researched these trees are -

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/53045464/family/familygroup?fpid=13447033994
James Beveridge
B:

D:

Parents

Unknown

Unknown

Wife

Margaret Beveridge
B:

D:

Relationship Events
Marriage  22 JUL 1804
Dalgety, Fife, Scotland
Children
Name   Birth   Death   Hints

Alexander Beveridge
Son
15 MAY 1805
Dalgety, Fife, Scotland

Margaret Beveridge
Daughter
ABT 1811
Shotts, Lanarkshire, Scotland
19 JAN 1888
Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland     m. Andrew Bernard

William Beveridge
Son
ABT 1811
Shotts, Lanarkshire, Scotland
11 FEB 1875
Aberdour, Fife, Scotland      m. Helen Gibb

Thomas Beveridge
Son
3 MAY 1815
Dalgety, Fife, Scotland

Janet Beveridge
Daughter
ABT 1819
18 MAR 1882
Beath, Fife, Scotland    m. John Muir

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 November 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if there is any connection?? I have a Janet Beveridge born circa 1773 who married George Rodger, 20.05.1794 in Dunfermline  - children ?Grizel  c1796,  George c1798 and Margaret c1800.

Thanks
Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)