Author Topic: Germany : SCHAFFHAUSEN, possible government official  (Read 4172 times)

Offline NJ Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thomas HOLMES (top), Gordon & Eileen HOLMES
    • View Profile
Germany : SCHAFFHAUSEN, possible government official
« on: Friday 08 November 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Bit of a long shot here. I am wondering if anyone has access to records for German people working in Western Samoa between 1899 - 1914, or if anyone knows where I can locate such records.

The surname of the man I wish to locate is SCHAFFHAUSEN. I do not know his first name, although I can guess. In Samoa, surnames did not pass on as per Western Culture, but a child would usually take his father's first name as his surname (this meant the surname changed each generation).

Mr Schaffhausen fathered a child named Aupauu SIONE (I have no idea whether there was a marriage or not). It is important to note that in several Polynesian cultures, Sione is a transliteration of the christian name John. So it is within the realms of possibility that Mr Schaffhausen's first name was Johann.

I do not have any other information about this man other than his surname and the name of his son, hence my question about records of Germans in Samoa. Not sure where else to start!

Thanks
Holmes - Donegal, Ireland
Plant - London, England
Armstrong - Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England
Burke - Galway, Ireland
O'Meara - Tipperary, Ireland
Simpson - Melbourne, Australia
Orr - Donegal, Ireland
Aupaau - Manono, Samoa
Letoa - Lalomanu, Samoa

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: SCHAFFHAUSEN / Germany, possible government official
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

had a bit of a look around and found a journalist who wrote a lot  in depth articles about Western Samoa under German rule and also under New Zealand rule. He must have had access to diaries and files. Perhaps you could ask him if Schaffhausen is mentioned at all or where to look for him.
I have his email address: info(at)golf-dornseif.de. He also states that New Zealand took over the administration, so perhaps there are files in the New Zealand archives.

Good luck, regards Peonie

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 November 13 12:54 GMT (UK) »
http://archives.govt.nz/about/news/2012/05/samoan-delegation-finds-their-history-archives#
Currently Archives New Zealand and the German Federal Archive are working on a project to digitise all the Samoan documents. With funding from the German Government the documents are digitised and there are plans to make the files available electronically for research in Samoa, New Zealand and Germany.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ttlasia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Does this man have another son name Pupi?

Hi all

Bit of a long shot here. I am wondering if anyone has access to records for German people working in Western Samoa between 1899 - 1914, or if anyone knows where I can locate such records.

The surname of the man I wish to locate is SCHAFFHAUSEN. I do not know his first name, although I can guess. In Samoa, surnames did not pass on as per Western Culture, but a child would usually take his father's first name as his surname (this meant the surname changed each generation).

Mr Schaffhausen fathered a child named Aupauu SIONE (I have no idea whether there was a marriage or not). It is important to note that in several Polynesian cultures, Sione is a transliteration of the christian name John. So it is within the realms of possibility that Mr Schaffhausen's first name was Johann.

I do not have any other information about this man other than his surname and the name of his son, hence my question about records of Germans in Samoa. Not sure where else to start!

Thanks

Offline ttlasia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Does this man have another son name Pupi?

Hi all

Thanks

If we are talking about the same person, I think the name is Taupa'u. I hope I'm rite because I am looking for my ancestors too. This man Schaffausen is all I have and stories from my grandfather.

Offline Tuifeamalo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Germany : SCHAFFHAUSEN, possible government official
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think you're referring to my great grandfather... His name was Albert Schaaffhausen. He had a son named Wilhelm (pupi) schaaffhausen and another son who I think was called taupauu... Plus two older children who I don't know their names, they never returned from Germany. Taupauu wasn't actually his biological son as taupauu was born to a Samoan man whilst Albert was back in Germany during the First World War (he went to Germany with his two older children to put them in school for want of better education and the war broke out. He was not heard from and presumed dead for 9 years) then Albert returned and his wife Hannah (née wallwork) took up her marriage with him again and taupauu was raised by Albert. I could be very wrong I am not 100% sure of the name of my grandfathers half brother but I think it might be him. Albert Schaaffhausen was the only Schaafhausen in Samoa in the early 1900's and he was an architect. You can find quite a lot of info on him on the net if you google him. His son Wilhelm went onto have about 12 kids (I think - still a few more we imagine). Most scattered through Samoa, New Zealand and Hawaii.

Offline NJ Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for your replies. I don't think Taupau and Aupaau are the same person.
In fact I was given new information, I received an email which provided some information:

"...hannnah wallwork had  other children when he went to war,from some man in manono.... Papa's eldest grandchild is Marina then Tommy then Tui...she died in the Tsunami..then there is Eddie and jackie and Rachel....there is John who is Paula's only son and Hilma had no children as she dieD in WW2.... did you know Albert wasnt his first name....he had an older brother...his mother was englsih...he came from Essen and he ended up in Samoa from Heidelberg he was the Architect for Samoa."

All this suggests that Aupaau was not Schaaffhausen's son at all, but the man who took up with Mrs Schaaffhausen while Albert was away at war. I do know that Aupaau was from Manono, and the email above confirms the man Hannah was with was from there.

I was told also told by my family that our grandmother (Aupaau's daughter) was not raised by her mother and only visited her. This makes sense if Mrs Schaaffhausen returned to Albert upon his return from Germany. If it is true that Taupau is not Albert's son, he may be the brother of our grandmother. Her name was Togamau Aupaau.

The descendents of Albert's son Wilhelm (Pupi) maintain Pupi is Albert's only son.

At the Auckland central library they have the Western Samoan films. I was told there are references to two Schaafhausen births, Johnny and Edward - but no years just reference numbers. They were 1282-14 and 1233-14 in that order on that film 1130493 item 1. These may be the children of Pupi referred to above.
Plant - London, England
Burke - Galway, Ireland
Orr - Donegal, Ireland
Aupaau - Manono, Samoa
Letoa - Lalomanu, Samoa

Offline M3L

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
some strange circumstances made me taking a photo of the grave of Mr. Albert Schaffhausen and his wife Hannah when I was in Apia in October 2017. Interested?

Offline NJ Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
some strange circumstances made me taking a photo of the grave of Mr. Albert Schaffhausen and his wife Hannah when I was in Apia in October 2017. Interested?

Yes please. I will PM you.
Plant - London, England
Burke - Galway, Ireland
Orr - Donegal, Ireland
Aupaau - Manono, Samoa
Letoa - Lalomanu, Samoa