Author Topic: Laurence Saunderson and Sarah Brawn/Brown  (Read 6331 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laurence Saunderson and Sarah Brawn/Brown
« on: Friday 08 November 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the following? A Lawrence (sometimes spelt Laurence) Saunderson married a Sarah Brawn/Brown around 1752/1753 at Biggleswade Bedford. They had the following issue: Sarah January 19th 1754, John July 18th 1755, Elizabeth June 10th 1757, Mary October 13th 1758, Thomas born September 10th 1760, baptised December 27th 1765, William born July 28th 1762 baptised December 27th 1765, Michael born August 20th 1764 baptised December 27th 1765, Martha January 1st 1768 and Joseph July 12th 1771.
Cant find a marriage for Lawrence and Sarah. The information for Sarahs surname Brawn or Brown comes from Ancestry trees who have no information on her parents.
On familysearch there is a Sarah Brawn, daughter of Henry Brawn and his wife Martha Richardson (married December 7th 1731 Bedford), baptised January 14th 1733 at Bletsoe. Henry and Martha also had: Martha September 8th 1734, Anne May 30th 1736, Mary April 9th 1738, Mary May 27th 1739 and Jane May 28th 1742.
All help much appreciated!! ??? :)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Saunderson and Sarah Brawn/Brown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
If the people who have trees giving her name as Brawn cant explain where they got that name from, then I would ignore it.

You start your post saying  Lawrence Saunderson married Sarah Brown/Brawn around 1752 in Biggleswade.

Yet, reading on, no such marriage has been found!  So this statement is NOT a good starting place!

Moral of this story - dont make assumptions!

What we actually have is a series of children chr in Biggleswade from 1754 onwards with parents Lawrence and Sarah Saunderson.

They could have married anywhere (wifes parish being the traditional place, and she may not have been living in Biggleswade), they may have married well before 1754, maybe marrying and having some older children  elsewhere and only moving to Biggleswade in 1754.  Though, seeing they are still producing up to 1771, they could not have started much earlier! All sorts of possible scenarios. Of course they could have never married.
Did they die in Biggleswade? Does age on burial help with an age for them?

I think you need to widen your search and look in neighbouring parishes for the marriage, hopefully there will be one, and with the reasonably unusual name it should be clear.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all baptisms and marriages pre 1813 in Beds have been extracted onto the IGI. The problem with the "new" IGI is that many entries from the extracted part have been deleted where there's a duplicate entry on the member submitted part. Burials can be found in the Findmypast index at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/parish-records/baptisms where the NBI is the database, at least for Beds, and if an age is given in the register it's shown in the index. No other detail will be found in the FindMyPast full entry so don't waste your money in buying credits

There's a member submitted entry on 24 Mar 1753 at Bedford St Mary between Laurence Saunderson and Sarah Brown. No guarantee that the entry is real, or that it's the same couple who baptised children in Biggleswade. You need to check the microfilm at your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

On the baptisms in Biggleswade Lawrence is described as a farmer

Speculating on Sarah Brown or Brawn's baptism until you've established from a marriage that she really was Sarah Brown or Brawn could be a total waste of your time.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
These are my ancestors. They married at Bedford St Mary on 24th March 1753. This always used to be on the IGI but the LDS seem intent on destroying that as a useful resource. Sarah's name is given as BROWN in the transcript of the register, but I have some evidence (somewhere, that I can't find at the moment) that she was the daughter of John BRAWN, a Bletsoe farmer who moved to Biggleswade and died there in 1795.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
but I have some evidence (somewhere, that I can't find at the moment) that she was the daughter of John BRAWN, a Bletsoe farmer who moved to Biggleswade and died there in 1795.
There's a burial in Biggleswade on 12 Jun 1795 of John Brawn. No other detail given.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 November 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
John Brawn's admon mentions his grandson, John Saunderson of East Hatley. I thought I had it somewhere!

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 November 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all for all your help and advice! Will keep on looking!
Cheers, Andrew

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 November 13 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the marriage has been found - in Bedford St MAry, and Steven G has the evidence to back it up. Good work!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I wonder if you can help me at all, I see that you mentioned a William Saunderson born 28th July 1762 his da is Lawerence & mum is Sarah. I think we might have the same family I am folling the Saunderson side of my family. Can you tell me did your William Saunderson born 1762 marry a Elizabeth Plyer/Player at all in 1793

Thanks I look forward to your reply  ;D