Author Topic: Castle Family Help  (Read 4391 times)

Offline lizwalters49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castle Family Help
« on: Friday 08 November 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching my family roots for quite some time. I have run into a brick wall when it comes to my GG Grandmother Abigail Castle Piersall. It is believed that she was born in Galashiels which is where her son, my Great Grandfather, Garfield Arthur Piersall is buried. He wanted to "be buried where his Mother was born". Her birth is 1857 or 58 and she died Jan 13, 1897 in Sherman Connecticut. She was married to Wm. Henry Piersall from New York. I would be grateful for any information that may help me get past this roadblock. Thank you very much.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Family Help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 November 13 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just to get started -
Scotlandspeople website has Garfield Arthur Piersall death 1954 Galashiels, Selkirk(shire) , born c1883.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 November 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz and welcome to Rootschat,

I can't seem to find any Castles on the Scottish 1841/1851/1861 Census in Selkirkshire :-\ ???
Do you have Abigail's marriage to William Henry? Are you positive that Castle was her maiden name?
Also were there any other children of the couple? If so could you list their names, that could help establish Scottish connections  :). We had a terrible habit of calling our children after their grannies and grandpas  ;D

Looby :)

Offline lizwalters49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Haven't mastered this site yet, lol. Had trouble with reply!

Thank you for your response! I have an account with Ancestry.com and have found several sources attached to Abigail Castle Piersall. When I check for an 1870 Census in the USA I find nothing for William Henry Piersall husband so I'm wondering if he was in UK at that time. Abigail and Wm's first child was born 1876 in Connecticut. I wonder if they married in UK and then came back to US. I would think with first child in 1876 they married 1875. No US record of marriage though.

Hi Liz and welcome to Rootschat,

I can't seem to find any Castles on the Scottish 1841/1851/1861 Census in Selkirkshire :-\ ???
Do you have Abigail's marriage to William Henry? Are you positive that Castle was her maiden name?
Also were there any other children of the couple? If so could you list their names, that could help establish Scottish connections  :). We had a terrible habit of calling our children after their grannies and grandpas  ;D

Offline lizwalters49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
ev and Looby:

Thank you for replies. Ev-I do have the burial info. for Garfield Abigail's son. My cousin believes that Abigail's parents names may have been James and Nancy although she has no concrete source information for that. It may have been just a shot in the dark based on something she viewed. I have checked ship passenger records as well. Nothing.   :(???

Offline lizwalters49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 November 13 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Had a thought....maybe Castle could be Cassel, Cassle, Castte, etc. although records I have found in US say Castle. Thanks for any help.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 November 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have tried some alternatives to Castle i.e. Cassell, Cassel, Castles but haven't found any thing.
But I did find this on Familysearch  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFC2-VHB
Is this Abigail on US 1880 Census? If so it gives her place of birth as Connecticut  :-\
Perhaps this is another Abigail but there are a few similarities - husband Henry , year of birth 1857 , first child born approx. 1877.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 November 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

This looks to be Garfield's marriage? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KSZ3-D6S

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizwalters49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 November 13 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I've called the Sherman CT historians and they have no records of Abigail's birth in CT. My G-Grandfather Garfield relocated to England and married. That part of my family only knows that Garfield is buried in Galashiels because his mother was born there they say. Oh the puzzles families leave us to piece together, lol. Thank you again :-)