Author Topic: Michael McTeigue Bourn Voy County Cavan  (Read 7056 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael McTeigue Bourn Voy County Cavan
« on: Saturday 09 November 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Greetings
I have embarked on a mission to trace my descendants back to Ireland having discovered all about them here in New Zealand. 

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in finding out about Michael McTeigue
Details I have are:
Born: 1847 at Bourn Voy County Cavan
Parents: Patrick & Bridget McTeigue
Emigrated to NZ: 1875

I am led to believe the remnants of the house where Michael was born was still standing in 1992 although have no proof of this.

Hoping someone is in a position to assist.
Kind regards
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McTeigue Bourn Voy County Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the townland is Bawnboy (Templeport civil parish, Bawnboy Poor Law Union/Registration District) rather than 'Bourn Voy.' If you search 1911 Irish census for McTeigue in Cavan there are quite of few in Bawnboy.

Do you have an occupation for Michael's father Patrick? and maiden name for mother Bridget?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 November 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
thanks for your confirmation of Bawnboy, both titles featured in the NZ story and I thought it may have been a dialect spelling, but obviously not - apologies.

I meant to put down that the father was Patrick Joseph McTeigue and he was a farmer.  I have just been back through all the paper work but can find no maiden name for Bridget or any clues to what it may have been. 
(It would be so nice to have family who had wayout unusual names!!)

Cheers
Blacksmithy

Offline teemore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
blacksmithy- Most of the McTeigues would have come from what is now known as Corlough and Corraghleehan areas in west Cavan.  Corlough was formally part of the parish of Templeport until 1877 when it was established as a separate parish.  The more common spelling of the name in the area is now McTeague.  I also have an interest in the name and the area since some of my ancestors were of the same name and from the same area  (the names associated in my interest are McTeagues/Reilly's /O'Reilly/McManus.

Here are a list of the land occupiers in 1856 (from Griffith's valuation) of that name some of whom subsequently would have went to Clogher National school (1882-1973) in what is now the Corraleehan church area. 

The poor act law of 1838 was passed in order to deal with widespread poverty which existed in Ireland at that time and was called GRIFFITH'S VALUATION

Townland:Corraleehan, (Landlord Peter D La Touche). Hugh McTeague & Owen Maguire- 2 houses on 31 acres
Townland: Drumcroman, (Landlord Richard Coote in Chancery). Patrick McTeague-10 acres.
Francis McTeague - 13 acres
James McTeague- house (no value) on 1/2 acre
Farrell McTeague & Timothy McTeague- 2 houses on 26 acres
Charles McTeague -21 acres
Peter McTeague - 10 acres
Townland:Kiltgerry (Landlord William Ormbsy Gore),  James McTeague -15 acres
Townland:Kiltycreevagh (Landlord/collector Catherine Penelope Jones), Timothy McTeague & Thomas Prior - 2 houses on 25 acres
Townland:Oughteragh (Landlord /collector John King) Andrew McTeague - 46 acres
Townland:Stroake (Landlord/collector Catherine Penelope Jones), Patrick McTeague- 10 acres
Bryan Teague- 17 acres.  Mary Teague - 12 acres
Townland:Unshinagh (Landlord /collector John King)- Patrick McTeague - 18 acres

I picked these names out of a list of 37 townlands.  The land could/would have been in Michael's father name in 1856.

Best Regards

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teemore
thanks so much for your reply, you must have scrolled back a few months to find my posting.  This will be another avenue for me to follow up on.  I think I need to sit down and really come to grips with the Irish records and histories as I am finding the family information that has been passed to me is limited and specific, although I am finding not always as accurate as I had been led to believe.  There is no question though about the farming and the name Patrick and Bridget.  But I can find no reference to a Bridget McTeigue in any records.  So it is back to the history books for me this year.  Would love to hear from you if you find anything you may think relevent to me in the future - likewise I will bear your names in mind.  Happy New Year. Blacksmithy :)

Offline BarbieGirl48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Blacksmithy,
I have just started researching my late husband's maternal side of the family (Seales/McTeigue).  My husband's g.grandfather was Michael McTeigue (his grandmother was Mary Jane, daughter of Michael).  I was just wondering how you have got on with your research back in Ireland and also to check that I have the family of Michael and Hannah Catherine (Kate) correct.
Regards,
Barbara (Burridge) McKern

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
sorry for my slow response however have been away overseas at a family wedding.  I am very keen to verify your information below as it is exciting to get a posting out of the 'blue'!
Please give me a week or so while I get sorted and defog my brain from changing time zones. I have not done any work on this side of the family for a while as it was challenging me due to a lack of information.

Just wondering if you have any photos of Michael and Hannah Catherine which we could compare.

Talk soon  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Try http://www.bawnboy.com/  plenty of records there!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 15 01:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark for an interesting site on Bawnboy.  Love the photos - just a shame I didn't know of the family connection when I did my OE in the 1980s!

Hi Barbara
It looks like we are talking about the same family      Would I be correct in saying Mary Jane was referred to as Minnie?  I am the great grand daughter of Agnes McTeigue, the 7th child of Hannah and Michael.
My understanding is that Mary Jane was born in Halswell in 1878 and was the 2nd child of Hannah and Michael.  She married James Albert Seales.  You will have an understanding of their children, however I have some confusion in this area.
Regarding Hannah:
(Kate- she seemed to have used various names based on her Christian names) was the daughter of Philip Kinsella (d 4 May 1904) and Jane MS Nolan (d 7 March 1904) and was born in 1853 apparently at Carnew County Wicklow Ireland.  Unfortunately I lack proof of this however her death cert confirms Wicklow as the county of birth and her fathers occupation as a policeman - but again this info is obviously reported on a death cert!
Philip and Jane Kinsella had the following children I believe but have not proof yet that these are totally accurate: Mary b1859, Hannah (ours) b1853, Lizzie, Jane b?1872 at Clongill, Jack/John b1861/63, Tom b1867 at Clongill, and Philip 1869,

Regarding Michael:
His death cert records him being born to Patrick and Bridget McTeigue in County Cavan Ireland, and aged 87 at death  on 26 September 1934. 

As you can see I have little info on life in Ireland sadly.  Name changes around McTeigue, the frequency of the name Kinsella and the lack of records in Irelandhave made it difficult to find confirming information on them.  I have found plenty of interesting info through the NZ papers past about Hannah as she was obviously a very colourful character.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing any progress that you have made and any photos you may have.  Let me know if I may be able to fill in any further gaps.

Cheers and happy hunting