Author Topic: Michael McTeigue Bourn Voy County Cavan  (Read 7061 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McTeigue Bourn Voy County Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 July 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
just a wee bit more info.
I have been trying to back up with proof the passed down to me.  I had been led to believe Kate and Michael came out together however this appears not to be the case at this stage. 

From the passenger lists I have found there is a Kate Kinshela as an Assisted Emigrant sailing to Port Canterbury NZ, on the Waikato ship, 27th July 1875. nationality Wicklow, single and a Servant.
Michael McTague on the Euterpe (thanks to the NZ rootschat for sorting the name of the boat for me  :))  on 27 April 1874 to Wellington NZ, from Cavan, a farm labourer also as an Assisted Emigrant.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline chrispea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blacksmithy

I am currently doing a soil contamination report for a property on Halswell Junction Rd who was once owned by Hannah Catherine McTeigue, wife of Michael McTeigue, labourer. The property title records show that Michael leased the land from Feb 1887 and Hannah bought the property in Jul 1907. The property was sold to Hubert, Ernest and Charles McTeigue in Dec 1931, presumably the sons of Michael and Hannah after Hannah's death? The property is on the corner of Halswell Junction Rd and McTeigue Rd.

Cheers, Chris

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris
lovely to hear from you.  Yes you are correct the farm went to the brothers.  I will be extremely interested in the result of your soil sampling as you may well uncover and therefore confirm the family story of some buried family items which I believe were carefully stored under the soil!  I  met with some of the McTeigue family in 2015 and have been privileged to learn a significant amount of our family story from them.
Looking forward to your results.  :)
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline chrispea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blacksmithy

I am doing the investigation as some market gardening occurred on the site in the 1980s. I will only be doing shallow sampling for this. What sort of buried family items have you heard about? This may warrant some deeper sampling.

Cheers, Chris