Author Topic: Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Heena - Ardara  (Read 11936 times)

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Heena - Ardara
« on: Friday 17 June 05 14:41 BST (UK) »
 :) hello,

I have done lots of work on my own family tree and have decided to tackle my husbands tree which is not proving so easy!  Can anyone suggest how I go about starting?

Here's what I know so far:

Noel Gallagher b. 1951, Ballhill Youth Hostel, Donegal (his parents were running the hostel).  Brothers Ray and Nick Gallagher.  Their parents were:

Patrick Gallagher b. 1911 Donegal and Mary Christina Maloney b. 1917 Donegal.  They both died in Birmingham, England.

The parents of Patrick Gallagher (b. 1911) were Patrick Gallagher and Anne Henne.  They both died in Ardara.  Patrick had 4 brothers (Danny, Eddie, Joseph, Dennis) and 2 sisters (Kathleen & Bridget)

I don't know the names of Mary Maloney's parents except surnames were Maloney and Sweeney.  Mary had a sister called Ethna who married John McCabe (Ardara)

The Heena name seemingly does not originate from Ireland and was taken to Ireland when a ship wrecked off Donegal and the 2 brothers who survived were named Henne.  I can't find anything of great significance in my search for the Henne name either.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lindsay

Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Heena - Ardara
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 05 18:49 BST (UK) »
Lindsay:
Take a look at this item. http://www.cupoftaefestival.com/   A Cliona Henne is listed as one of the Performers on Saturday evening.  Seems as if the Hennes and Gallaghers are still going strong in Ardara. Try a Google or similar search using variations of name.

Good Luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline mickmaloney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
Maloney families in SW Donegal were clustered around Ardara, Crove and Carrick (in the Parish of Glencolumbkille).  There was a James Maloney married to a Susan Sweeney living in the townland of Aughera in the Teelin/Carrick area, but they had children between 1866 and 1885.  This Susan was from the townland of Staleel in Glencolumbkille.

If you found the parents of the Mary Maloney you mention, post a reply.

Good luck,
Mike

Offline mcghee67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,

I am also researching my family from Ardara Donegal,

In fact I am going to Ardara this week, have you tried posting a message in Ardara ie website under ardara roots you will see all the imformation pertaining to my family, Maloney, Sweeney are very popular names in Ardara so you should not find it hard to find imformation I am intouch with a Mike Maloney whose family originate from Ardara and he has loads of imformation also try looking for imformation on rootsweb donegal its free and their are loads of imfo
Please post annother message and I will help you as much as I can

Kind regards Jane
Molloy, Gallagher, Monaghan, O'Donnell Co Donegal

Provan Collins Govan Glasgow
McGivney, Molloy Craigneuk Wishaw Motherwell

Offline ldoran43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Brian Keeney married a Bridget Heena. She was his second wife. They lived near Glenties (Drumnacrosh). She died after 1918 for my mother remembers visiting Granny Biddy.
Glenties: Keeney, McCabe , Kinney Gallagher, Meehan, McGettigan, Russell, McLean, Taylor

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 February 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the 1901 Drumnacross census with Brian (Bernard) Keeney and his wife Bridget
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1901Drumnacrosskl.htm

Offline ldoran43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the 1901 Drumnacross census with Brian (Bernard) Keeney and his wife Bridget
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1901Drumnacrosskl.htm

Thank you so much. Someday I will get to Ireland and visit all the places in my family tree.
Glenties: Keeney, McCabe , Kinney Gallagher, Meehan, McGettigan, Russell, McLean, Taylor

Offline Donna Mc Cabe

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm a grandaughter of Ethna and John Mc Cabe, Ardara, Co. Donegal.  Ethna and John had seven children all of whom are alive, Phonsie is my father.  Ethna's mother was Annie Sweeney and her father was Patrick Maloney.

Ray and one of his brothers came to visit in the past. 

Grandad (John Mc Cabe) passed away 5years ago.  Ethna is still alive and due to celebrate her 90th birthday on the 2nd Nov 2009. 

I'd love to hear from you and more about your husband's family.

Donna. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Donna. Details of living people shouldn't be posted here but after you've made 3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) systerm to exchange details, email addresses, etc.
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!