Author Topic: William Oliver's parents  (Read 4523 times)

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Oliver's parents
« on: Sunday 10 November 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateul if someone has access to Census or other records and could give me clarity on the parents of William Oliver, married in 1868 to Margaret Hunter Pitt in Riccarton Ayrshire.
From several years ago I have a source from LDS giving his parents as John Oliver and Mary Borland. Now I have come across other sources quoting Family search records with John Oliver and Janet Raeside as parents.
I have two birthdates - 13.11.1842 and 8.6.1842. Both name Margaret Hunter Pitt as the wife.
I also have two dates for death - 1909 and 1916.
Help please  ::) ::) ::)
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Oliver's parents
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 13 14:17 GMT (UK) »
If you had viewed the marriage certificate on Scotlands People you could have easily established who his parents were - both the instances you give are incorrect.

I had a few credits left and according to his marriage certificate he was 21, wife was only 17, and looks like both their parents witnessed the wedding.   Williams' parents are shown as Robert Oliver, Coal Miner, and Janet Reside.

Checking on familysearch - Robert Oliver and Janet Reside married 26/12/1834 Riccarton, Ayr and William b.8/6/1846, bp.28/6/1846 Riccarton.   An 1846 birthdate fits with his age at marriage.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 13 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Using the information provided by Annette you can search the  transcriptions at http://www.freecen.org.uk/ for the 1841 & 1851 Census in Ayrshire.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 13 14:43 GMT (UK) »
From where I live a search on Scotland's People costs more than 15 x the cost to researchers in the UK so I am very appreciative of any help I can get. Thank you both for your help and information.
Gingerbit
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A number of trees on Anc*y have William  b 1842 emigrating to Chicago and marrying a Lucy Hicks there.
The census entries I can see for a William Oliver married to Margaret in Riccarton all give year of birth as 1847 which does seem to sit better with the 1846  birth.

William

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 November 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
SP has a Margaret Hunter Oliver(other surname Pitt) death 1917 Kilmarnock Ayr , born c1850.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 November 13 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor and Ev,
 Thank you for your replies. I think the William who went to America may be a cousin of the one in my tree, so far I have not come across him. And Ev, thank you for confirming details for Margaret Hunter Pitt. I am very fortunate to have a copy of the Kilmarnock Standard dated 28.12.1918. There is a death notice for a member of another branch of the family in this paper and only recently when starting more searching into the Oliver surname did I give the paper another read and found three Oliver surnames in the 'In Memoriam' section. One of them being Margaret Hunter Pitt d. 1917 and also for William Oliver d. 1916. The other  mention was for William H. Oliver who died in France in 1916. He was a son of William and Margaret.
Gingerbit

Offline StacyP.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
William Oliver born in November 1842 was married to Lucy Hicks.  They were my 3 times great grandparents.  He passed away in December 1909 and immigrated to the USA from Scotland in 1857.  His parents were John Oliver and Mary Borland.  Hope this helps.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
From where I live a search on Scotland's People costs more than 15 x the cost to researchers in the UK

How do you make that out? You pay exactly the same for credits wherever you are in the world. £7 for 30 credits, which (if you get your search right) lets you view 5 certificates or census records. Cost per certificate therefore £1.40.

An absolute bargain compared with the sums extorted for certificates in Australia and New Zealand, and even with the £9.25 per certificate currently charged in England and Wales.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.