Author Topic: The McConnochie Bros? in Cardiff  (Read 11077 times)

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The McConnochie Bros? in Cardiff
« on: Friday 17 June 05 16:19 BST (UK) »
According to public records John McConnochie (D 1889)CE A.M.I.Mech.E,  M.I.C.E was the engineer to the Bute Family in Cardiff, and was Lord Mayor. Has anyone seen his marriages recorded.? One was to Matilda.
 He had a brother Charles (D1890) who is also recorded in Cardiff but by family legend worked on the boilers in the Winter Palace in St Petersburgh in 1859 and "spoke with the Czar" where one of his daughters was registered as Born Russia. British Subject. Charles marriage certificate 1856 in Liverpool states his father was Robert McConnochie,a joiner of Melford Street in Liverpool.
We are trying to find some means of fixing them as brothers. One of Charles' daughters married William Wallace Pettigrew, Cardiff's first Director of Parks.
Any Offers?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The McConnochie Bros? in Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello John

Do you have them on census returns?  Just found Charles in 1871 (I think!) with 2 children born Russia.  He himself was born Scotland, so you may have to redirect your enquiries north of the border.

Happy to post 1871 if you don't have it.

Ref:RG10/5357 21 36

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Arranroots,
Thanks for your efforts. We have Charles on 1881 Census with 10 of his 11 children including triplets born c1868. Thats rare for a start1 We will probably have to go back to Edinburgh eventually.
Thanks again

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello - William Wallace Pettigrew was my Great Uncle and I have a copy of his marriage certificate to Ruth McConochie on the 5 July 1894.  The marriage was witnessed by Rachel McConochie and John McConochie (her uncle) and also states that Ruth's father, Charles (Engineer) was deceased.

Tim Pettigrew
Pettigrew family of gardners/horticulturists in Ayr and Cardiff

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
John from The Cambrian Index Online(Newspaper you can send for photocopies of the entries online)

Journal Date-19th Feb 1864 Catalogue index B10.Marriages
On 8th feb at St Johns,Cardiff.
John McConnochie to Mathilde L.F.Jaeger of Germany

Journal Date-28th Sept 1866 Cat Index A00.(Births)
On 20th Sept the wife of John McConnochie,C.E,Cardiff ,of a son.

Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 07 14:51 BST (UK) »
A bit belated, but Charles McConochie was born on 24 Feb 1833 in Canongate Edinburgh, son of Robert McConachie and Janet Murdoch.  He also appears in the 1851 Census, aged about 19,  in Greenock (Scotland), as a lodger while an Apprentice Engineer.  He appears (in Cardiff) with his wife Mary Ann and the rest of the family in the 1871 and 1881 Census and died in the last quarter of 1888 aged 55.

The only tentative record for John is the birth of a John McConochie to Robert McConochie and Janet McMurchy on 22 September 1922, in Greenock.  Janet and Robert had been married on 1 Dec 1821.  Can't find a marriage record for Robert and Janet Murdoch, so can't ascertain if Charles was the son of a second marriage of Robert. 

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your info dtd17th May 07 and earlier.
I regret that due to my son's illness and bereavement family history has slipped in the last year. I did manage to put yout great uncle's marriage to Ruth McConochie into the Cardiff Parks Exhibition in Cardiff Old Library last year.
Are you local and did you see it?  I was following this up from Fiona Bell, daughter of Sir Ronald Bell QC MP. He was my mother's first cousin and a Very respectable gent, (untess you read his obituary in the Guardian!) and a nephew by marriage from William Wallace Pettigrew.
Regards
John K Reypert

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John - Thanks for the reply.  Although I live in Northumberland, I was contacted about the Cardiff Parks Exhibition and was able to contribute some photographs and ephemera from the family archive.  I went down to the opening of the exhibition with the family and my mother (93), who is one of the last remaining people to have known William Wallace and the other Pettigrew brothers.  We all enjoyed the exhibition very much.

I wondered where the Cardiff people had obtained the information about William's marriage to Ruth - now I know! - many thanks for that.

The connection to Sir Ronald Bell is interesting to know.  I am currently trying to find out what happened to Ruth after the death of William Wallace Pettigrew in Sussex in February 1947, so far with no success.

Let me know if you think I might be able to help with any queries you may have.

All the best

Tim

Offline neil rutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
re charles mcconochie, his daughter was my grandmothers  mother.  Her name was Rachel Mcconochie, she married a Ernest bird who was a chief engineer at sea. .........they lived in cardiff. My grandma used to tell me stories of the mcconochies and her uncle who laid out all the gardens in cardiff. She used to love to visit him in his house in the flower gardens as we used to call them . They also had tennis courts and a bowls green there. Her aunt was Ruth mcconochie. Another note I saw was your link to Sir Ronald Bell, well his brother john, was my great aunt Catherine Ellis cousin, He was a great help to her in her later years. She also had twin sisters, Ruth and Rachel who as far as I know never married. I am desperately trying to locate more info particularly from my copy of a family tree concerning this side of my family.