Author Topic: James Holland 5x Great Grandfather Occupation Cutler  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Holland 4x Great Grandfather Occupation Cutler
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Here is an update on what I have

This is everything I have so far

James Holland 1809-1880

The story so far
Marriage certificate for George Holland and Mary Ann Simpson, shows that George’s father is James Holland a Cutler

The 1841 census
George Holland is a lodger not with his father James. George is unmarried, 23 years old born 1820 Sheffield and is a Tailor.  This matches the Marriage Cert I have for George and Mary Ann

From the Sheffield indexes there is a baptism for George Holland
Born the 19 November 1828 Sheffield.  Baptised, 14 December 1828.  Parents are Elizabeth and James a Cutler this fits the above information.

I have not managed to find a marriage for James Holland to an Elizabeth

Death Certificate for James Holland
Died 29 September 1990 Union Workhouse, Sheffield, aged 71.  Occupation table knife cutler.  Cause of death Senectus (old age).  Informant J Heasite, master of the union workhouse, Sheffield.

Working back from this with censuses etc.
1871 census
There is James Holland living with a wife Annie.  James is aged 61 a table knife cutler born abt 1810 Sheffield.  Annie is 44 born America.  This is the only James Holland in Sheffield in 1871 I have found, however I do not think this correct.

1861 census
There is a J Holland who is an inmate at the Sheffield Union Workhouse (now this fits with the death certificate) he is a widower aged 52 a cutler.

1851 census
There is James Holland aged 42 born abt 1809 Sheffield is a widower, living at Sheffield Park; he is a table knife hafter.  There is a son James Holland, aged 9 born abt 1842 Sheffield.  There is also a lodger Henry Padler, aged 21, born 1830 Sheffield is a labourer.

1841 census
There is a James Holland aged 32, a table knife cutler, living with him is a Matilda aged 20 and John Gleave who is aged 60.

Marriage Certificate for James Holland and Matilda Bradewell Gleave

Married 09 May 1844 James Holland is 30 a widower, cutler.  I cannot make out the residence.   His father is George Holland and a cutler. 

I am tempted to think this is correct and that James father is George.

Death for Elizabeth nee Simpson possible 29 December 1831

Can aynone point me in the right direction to solve this?

Thanks
Candis

Wells of Yorkshire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Holland 5x Great Grandfather Occupation Cutler
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 February 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the information that my cousins had for James father were wrong.

The correct information is as the MC for James Holland and Matilda Gleave. Matilda is James second wife.

Is there a way of confirming that Georges mother was indeed Elizabeth Simpson.

The baptism from the Sheffield indexers show that his mother was an Elizabeth.

Holland, George (of Sheffield, born 1828-11-19).
      Baptised December 14, 1828, by E M Hall at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
      Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & James (Cutler).
      Note:

Thanks
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline merlot59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 February 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
The problem is that the Census records show George as being born about 1820 but the baptism you've got shows him being born in 1828. So something isn't right there. Check these out and you might find a birth and baptism about 1820.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
I am re opening this as.

As Ancestry has given me a hint for James Holland my 4x Great Grandfather with a birth being 22 March 1809, Baptism April 1809, Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield, York.

Parents are James Holland and Lucy Ann

Do we believe this is correct form all the other information that has been given?

Regards
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire