Author Topic: Please find Richard Hoddinott  (Read 3406 times)

Offline denisew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Please find Richard Hoddinott
« on: Friday 17 June 05 17:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the ancestors of Richard Hoddinott, born 1784/5 sherbourne dorset. Married Ann Luxton in Bermondsey London 1804? I have many descendents but no ancestors.
Thanks ;)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please find Richard Hoddinott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi denisew,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)  :)

I looked on the Dorset OPC site, www.dorset-opc.com and found 13 hits for HODDINOT but, if they are related, they are all descendents, no Richard  to be found !

But, you could also ask there for a look-up, as the OPCs usually have more records available than are actually online.

Good luck !
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline denisew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for looking, I will follow it up :)

Denise

Offline shoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi denisew
I have a contact in Australia who has been asking the same question for some years, unfortunately without luck.
I can only tell you that no Richard Hoddinott (or any variant or spelling of this surname) was baptised in Sherborne parish church between the years 1731 and 1812. This probably means one of three things: his parents never got round to having him baptised, or they were nonconformists, or they actually came from one of the villages next to Sherborne (perhaps as many as eleven) which each had its own church/registers.
When I am looking at registers for north dorset parishes I will bear your question in mind and hope to strike lucky one day.
In the meantime I would be interested in details of any Hoddinott/ Luxton descendants. I think they had five children: Mary Ann, Richard, Suzanna, John and Sarah, but I don't know anything about the next generation.
Dibble, Hoddinott, Huntley (Somerset/Dorset); Holmes (Hull); Samuel (Hull & Belfast); Gilbert, Roberts, Talbot (Coastguards)

Offline denisew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Shoko

Thanks for the reply. I have today found a baptism for a richard hoddnott 23/7/1786  in Portsmouth with parents richard hoddnott & ann, his dob as 1784, I have no proof yet that they are one & the same person. Do you or your contact in Australia have a connection to Richard?

Richard Hoddinott & Ann Luxton had 8 children.Mary, Richard, Susanna, Thomas, Elizabeth Ann, Charles & Ann. I am a descendent of Thomas. I have quite a lot of info on them but too much to list out here. My tree is on Genes Reunited, do you have access to it? I will happily share all the info.

I would be very interested in any details you may have too. Let me know if you'd like the info and I work out a way of showing you.

Regards Denise

Offline shoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

I do not believe that I have any connection to Richard, or if I have it is very remote. My Australian contact believed she had a connection, but I know that some of her data was second hand and not personally researched. The following details came to me from her 9 years ago, but I believe she got them from another Hoddinott probably 20 years ago, when research was a lot more difficult:

Richard HODDINOTT (born Sherborne c.1783) married Ann LUXTON (born St Giles, Cripplegate, London c.1782 - daughter of Edward LUXTON, tailor, of Clerkenwell, London) on 1 March 1804 at St Olave, Southwark, London.
Children: (1) Mary Ann HODDINOTT (bapt.24 March 1805 St Olave, Southwark) (2) Richard HODDINOTT (bapt.26 July 1806 St Mary, Bermondsey) (3) Suzanna HODDINOTT (bapt.15 May 1808 St Olave Southwark) - alternative forename spelling "Susannah" (4) John HODDINOTT (bapt.6 Sept 1812 St Olave, Southwark) (5) Sarah HODDINOTT (born 1814) married James ROBERTS and emigrated to Australia with him as free settlers in 1838.

This differs from your information, so I should be very interested to have a look at your Genes Reunited tree. I have only just registered for both RootsChat and Genes Reunited, so I haven't yet got round to putting a tree of my own on-line. But I have data (some of it reliable, some of it needing to be checked - like the above - a lot of it disjointed) on many Hoddinott families.

Regards,  Shoko
Dibble, Hoddinott, Huntley (Somerset/Dorset); Holmes (Hull); Samuel (Hull & Belfast); Gilbert, Roberts, Talbot (Coastguards)

Offline denisew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shoko

Thanks for your message, I didn't know that Sarah & James Roberts emigrated to Australia. I haven't been on Roots for long either, I joined genes in November last year when I started doing my tree. I believe you can upload a tree to genes if you have a program that supports gedcom, it may save you having to input everything again. The information I have on Richard is second hand as well but most of it is supported by parish records entries.

I have communicated with several members of genes so when you look you will find several of us with a common cause, look forward to talking to you on there.

Regards Denise :)