Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19028 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,
It sounds like we are close to finding out a few things.
I am sorry but I think I misunderstood when you asked for evidence of Edward's parents. I think you mean the Familysearch entry. I tried to copy it to attach but I am unable to copy it in such a way. I am not very good at those things. If you put in the search Eduard Andersson, Country - Sweden, Birthplace - Ljung, Sweden, Birthdate - 1837-1837 it comes up at the top of the list. It gives his parents as Anders Andersson and Johanna Lang. If you put their names in it brings up all of the children. All have the Batch Number C40435-3. When I put in this number it strangely brought up a birth of an Olof Andersson born on 18th May 1819 and Christened on the 20th May in Ljung, Goteborg Och Bohos. The parents are Inger Andersdr and Anders Brandt. Ingers was the sister of Anders  born 1811. This Inger is obviously not the same one but make be a clue to a family link and proves there was an Olof (Oliver) Andersson living in ljung. I am probably grasping at straws but am always looking for any evidence that may lead me to his family. There may be a family connection as I have found several Oliver Andersons in Sunderland. I think Edward dropped the double 's' over time and it is spelt with only one on the census records. Have you managed to read the birthplace of Johanna (1799)?
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I meant to look at the records he had signed with his parents' names, perhaps his marriage cert or something else. I will look at the record on FamilySearch. I will also look at this Oliver in the books too.
Yes, I have found Johanna's birth.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 January 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I have attempted to attach his marriage certificate which shows father's name only and his application to be examined for his Certificate of Competency which gives his date of birth. However, it says the file is too large even if I try to send them separately.
I have attached these documents to Edward Anderson in my Ancestry tree. You will be able to view them there. Anderson 11 28.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 January 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I have just traced this Olle Andersson in Ljung.... he just disappeared. His father was a soldier. I even went through all the Gothenburg births.... no Olle, Olof or Oliver or Edvard birth either.

The thing that is puzzling me is, if he is the right Edward, why did he give Oliver as his father. If his father's name was Olof, Olle etc, then Edward's surname would be Olofsson or Olsson.
I must say that the evidence is quite strong....... same birth, a seaman, seems to have married in England, no trace of him after 1860. Even the Nyborg and Nygreen residences.

Did you find that 1911 Census where Edward was on a ship?

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 January 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
There was no census record just a crew list for an E Anderson 1911 on the Mary Elizabeth Vessel Official Number 76551 which proved not to be him. It won't let me attach it. It was a much younger man and Edward was 74 at that time and died 4 years later. I am beginning to wonder the same - if it is the same Edward. If only I could find his early sailor's records it may shed a light on his next of kin etc. Why do our ancestors do this to us?
Julie

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have now trawled through 1000's of seamen in Gothenburg. As of yet no names of Edvard or Oliver Andersson. Many Olof and Olle but none from that parish.
I suggest that you start a new thread (or perhaps get help from a moderator to copy over parts of this thread) in the Europe section. You will certainly get more help there if anyone can help you there. I will keep looking but that sailors book you are looking for might not exist. It it did Edward had it.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Many thanks for you efforts to trace Edward and Oliver. I am grateful that you have been able to access records and translate them for me.By the way what is the writing next to Herman's name on the census? Is it referring to his death?
I will take your advice and start a new thread. I am not sure about the best way to do this. From a seaman's perspective or a family one.
I was even thinking of pursuing Peter Charles Ostram who married his wife's sister Mary Imison. He lived with them at the time of his marriage. I am thinking that they may have been friends and maybe sailed together. If I could find his records than it may give a clue to his Merchant Seaman's activity before arriving in England. His name is less common too so should be easier to trace. However, I have been unable to find him on Familysearch.
I won't give up until I find Edward's roots in Sweden and the truth about Oliver. Once again - much gratitude to you for the time you have put in to this for me. You said you were researching the Anderssons. Do you think my Anderssons are connected to you?
Regards Julie.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
There are 2 writings next to his name. The first one (next to his name) says "enrolled as a seaman". The second one says "has not been examined (by the priest) since 1857".
I beleive that he also disappeared. Jumped ship that is.

Also the child under Herman is Anders Andersson's grandchild.

What I meant with researching the Anderssons was researching your Anderssons. I am married to a Johansson and they were farmers and millers.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,
I have been spending some time trying to absorb all of the information you have given me. I note that on the census all of the family were born in Ljung except Johanna. You said that you had found her birth. Where was the parish of her birth? It states she was born on 27th December 1799 but I have been unable to find her on Familysearch. I was hoping to establish her parents.
I assume you are certain of Anders' birth. How were you able to trace back to the correct one; there are so many!It must be him as his siblings names are passed down to his children. Family search have Anders' birth as 11th December 1804 and Christenened on the 16th in Ljung. His mother Kerstin I have as born in Silbodal, Varmland - daughter of Arvid Jacobsson and Kerstin Olsdotter. There are a couple of possibilities for Anders Hansson born 1773.
I hadn't noticed the grandchild on the census. Are you able to read the name? I was trying to work out whose child it could be. Is it a girl or boy? He/she was born in Udevalla so very close to Nyborg. I am sorry to keep asking questions; I am trying to analyse everything.
I have placed another post in the Europe section.
Julie.