Author Topic: David (Davy?) Watkins b abt 1798 Ludlow  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Alison Dee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: David (Davy?) Watkins b abt 1798 Ludlow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I've just stumbled across this after googling Smart and Campbell.
I am descended from the Smart family and my Grandmother was a Campbell Sloan. Her mother, a Campbell Smart, was born and lived on Tidenham Chase at Firgrove.
The Campbell connection is to do with Jamaica (Archibald was a governer I think) and we had a portrait of one of the young Smarts being rescued from an alligator in Kingston.
My father thought the Campbells and Smarts were probably friends, but in the past I have stumbled across a link from an old newspaper reproting on the young Smarts and their Uncle Campbell in Jamaica. I have letters from Francis Smart to his wife in Powder House Farm, Tutshill, near Chepstow and  one of my great, great uncles (I think a William Smart) lived at Oak Cliff in Woodcroft before moving to Bristol or Bath as an old man in the late 1800s or early 1900s. He was remembered by an old lady who lived near Tidenham when I was a little girl in the 1960s, being driven down the road in his horse and carriage. She was a little girl at that time and he, an elderly man.
I lived in Tidenham as a child and, in my teems, rang the bells at Tidenham Church, one of which was given to the church by a Smart who was church warden - probably in the 1800s. There is also a gravestone in the belfry with other Smarts on it (more of the family) but difficult to see now because of countless bellringers standing on it.
Tidenham Church has grave stones in the boundary wall for several Smarts from the 1600s. One was Mary Tudor Smart and others had the usual Smart names - John, William, Elizabeth, Mary. My Grandmother was Elizabeth Mary Campbell Sloan, Her mother was Eliza Mary Campbell Gee (nee Smart).
I don't know of any Watkins's in the family, but have a friend who is a Watkins and we were at school together.
I don't know if you're still looking for link to the Watkins family, but let me know and I can try to find out more from my friend.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!   ;D

If you're related to the Tidenham Smarts, I don't think you'll be related to the Watkins/Smart family. I think your Smarts were the wealthy, landowning ones. The Smarts with the Watkins link were coopers & sawyers living in Chepstow, no wealth or land there, I'm afraid.

:D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline paul_w

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the posts, yes as Osprey is correct, my Smart/Watkins connection is at Chepstow, sawyers as Osprey says and not connected to Tidenham Smarts. From what I have found out they had no 'wealth' (except apart from happiness? who knows).
Watkins, Kelly, Smart