Author Topic: technical help please pics ect  (Read 423 times)

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
technical help please pics ect
« on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:13 GMT (UK) »
i was trhilled whn my eldersly aunt sent me some old photograps today (im trying to upload one here yipee mananged to re-size it !! )

ive taken a picture of some of them with my digital camera (this is the only one which has turned out ok -) ive taken without flash - but ive got grave stone pics with a monument and some others - some tiny tiny ones as well that dont turn out too good that way - any other suggestions ? i need to get them on my tree

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: technical help please pics ect
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
i need to know how to get them onto my tree any other way than with digital camera - i thought that maybe they can be scanned ? i havent got a scanner i dont know what it is maybe some technical advice on how to do it at the library maybeee?????

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:50 GMT (UK) »
A scanner is the simplest way of getting pictures of flat things - letters, photographs and even such things as flowers and medals - onto a computer. Using a camera, you really need to ensure that you get even lighting which is difficult - exemplified by the "hot spot" on your photograph, and focussing can be tricky - compact cameras don't necessarily focus close enough and you need to keep them still to avoid camera shake. As I've said previously elsewhere, one solution for documents that I've found useful is an iPad but a scanner is the ideal solution.

Scanners are relatively cheap to buy and you don't need anything that special. Tesco currently has a range of 10 scanner/printers listed between £49 and £150 any of which should be more than adequate for what you need.

Things like gravestones and monuments are relatively easy with a camera. Try to pick a day when there isn't bright sunlight as cameras have difficulty in coping with high contrast subjects; i.e. shadows and bright highlights, at the same time. If you simply want to record inscriptions, however, a bit of contrast can help.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:53 GMT (UK) »
checking with your local library is a good idea. I know some of them can scan and either email the images or make a cd or put them onto a usb stick.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Scanning is definitely the way to go.  Since most printers now also function as scanners, there must be someone among your friends and neighbors who has the necessary equipment and can give you a hand.  If not, where I live, you go to a cyber café and they can do the job and put the files onto a memory stick.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis