Author Topic: Feltwell Cemeteries - SPINKS  (Read 1555 times)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Feltwell Cemeteries - SPINKS
« on: Thursday 14 November 13 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a 2 couples named John and Mary SPINKS who lived in Feltwell. At least one couple had children in Feltwell, and both couples died there

(1) John SPINKS and Ann nee BAKER married 15th May 1764. I believe they had 12 children BUT some my belong to the other couple.  This John signed his name

(2) John SPINKS and Ann DRAKE married 1st may 1754. This John was illiterate.

Both Johns were born 1736/1737.

I have burials as follows -

John 13th March 1794 (St Mary's) and 11th July 1813 (St Mary's and St Nicholas'). Both burial register entries have an age at death, but neither have a marital status.

Ann 18th April 1807, no age quoted but she is the wife of John.  Therefore (provided there was not another Ann wife of John around) she has to be the wife of the one who died in 1813.  There are a few option for the death of the other Ann, but without an age or marital status, there is no way to be sure.

What am I trying to achieve? Work out which is which, and try to allocate children to the correct parents.

How can you help? 

(1) If anyone has access to the Feltwell MI, a lookup for any John and Mary SPINKS, along with the names of any children mentioned. Info on any other SPINKS graves that are adjacent. Names of families the female children married into are : RUDDERHAM, WING,

(2) If anyone one knows where I can gain access to the MI (if any exist) I am more than happy to follow this up myself.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this detailed request. Your help will be very much appreciated.

SHIRLEY

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Feltwell Cemeteries - SPINKS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 November 13 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shirley,

I don't know if this helps, or muddies the waters even further ...

The John Spinks who was buried in 1794 was, according to the Bishop's Transcripts, a batchelor!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18567-74965-89?cc=1823613&wc=M947-D43:419641887

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 November 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley, according to FreeReg & Norfolk Archdeacons Transcripts, (did FreeReg get info fromAT's)??
  Both Johns married within 2 weeks of each other, 1, John to Ann Baker 15/05/1764
                                                                     2, John to Ann Drake 01/05/1764             
       so your date of 1754 may be incorrect, Dave.

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 13 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yorklass, I have updated that an entry in the source data.  I will now check to see if the original PR is on line, to see if that has the same info.

Berkeley - Freereg entry for the DRAKE marriage appears to be a transcript of the actual PR. I will slide off and look at both options to see what is going on. Thanks for the pointer

Norfolk
Place   Feltwell
Church   St Nicholas
RegisterNumber   22
MarriageDate   01 May 1764
GroomForename   John
GroomSurname   SPINKES
GroomAge   
GroomParish   Feltwell St Mary
GroomCondition   Bachelor
GroomOccupation   
GroomAbode   
BrideForename   Anne
BrideSurname   DRAKE
BrideAge   
BrideParish   Feltwell
BrideCondition   Spinster

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
The date of 1754 was my error - a typo.  The 2 marriages are in the PR as subsequent entries in May 1764.

Sorry

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 November 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked the original PR for the burial in St Mary's Feltwell, and it does not nominate a marital status for John at all.  I would appreciate advice on the difference between the original and the ATs. Is it more likely the AT is incorrect (but I would understand an omission more than an addition), or is it possible the original PR is actually a copy of some earlier record and this copy has 'bachelor' omitted.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12591-51728-1?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-3RW:218382916

I must say that the original PR (above link) appears to have been written all at the same time.

SHIRLEY

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 November 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

My understanding is that Archdeacons/Bishops Transcripts are copies of the Parish Registers, sent annually to either the Archdeacon or the Bishop of the County.

I can't explain why the copy of the register should state that John Spinks was a batchelor  ???

I've had a look at the Norfolk Sources and the NRO websites for any Wills which may help, but unfortunately couldn't find anything.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 November 13 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yorklass, I guess I am back to hoping the MI have been transcribed. From a photo on Flickr it looks as if there are many tombstones, but the shot is too far away to see if any look readable.. A couple of the later generations of the family went in for headstones, so you never know..

SHIRLEY