Author Topic: Blucher Hall in East Lothian  (Read 5374 times)

Offline daisypetals01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blucher Hall in East Lothian
« on: Thursday 14 November 13 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me about Blucher Hall and what it was? Does anyone have any history on it?
Reason I am asking is that there was a Donald Fraser who was born in Blucher Hall Scotland in 1863. He emigrated to Canada as a young man. He settled on the Squam Bay road near Adams Lake, BC and called his new compound/family place Blucher Hall. He named it that because apparently he or his family owned it in East Lothian and he had left it behind.
Can anyone confirm?
Thankyou.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blucher Hall in East Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 November 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
This previous post on the site may interest you http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=521976.0

Kay

Offline daisypetals01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 November 13 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou. I did see that post and she was looking for history on Blucher Hall, too. Being a Fraser.
What the thread morphed into immediately was a history of Mrs. Foreman's Pub which bordered/nieghboured Blucher Hall. It was a nice and informative little detour...but...
Was Blucher Hall a house/farm? Did Donald Fraser just desert it? Was there a reason why he did? What happened to it after he left for Canada? Is it still there?
Anyone?
Thanks very much!!

Offline johnndouglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 December 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Regarding what was  Blucher's Hall I can answer your question. Being interested in local history I know Levenhall Roundabout was  on the A1 main London/Edinburgh trunk road before the A1 bypass around the town was built in the 1990s. The roundabout  was a crossroads on the main Edinburgh to London post road for centuries where a tollhouse for travellers was sited. I have looked around the area and  noticed the  two cottages between Mrs Formans and Levenhall Arms Public Houses  at the roundabout  are very old. A lane leads between the cottages and the Levenhall Arms to an  old garage  possibly originally stables with old walls built  with reclaimed old stones including gravestones in it.  The  cottages too are built with old stone and if you look to the  top left frontage  below the gable end of the cottages a  stone has  an elegant  carving on it. It clearly shows 'BLUCHER'S HALL 1814'. To check  for yourself just look at Google Maps for 4 Ravensheugh Road the current address for this  cottage and drag the yellow man to the address to view the stone. 

Offline lowingo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
HI There,

Donald Fraser was my Great Grandfather.  His daughter Anne Fraser (Moore) was my grandmother.  As I recall my  Grandfather/Grandmother (MOORE) took over the ranch at Blucher Hall near Adams Lake.  They sold this ranch to another family by the name of Fraser.  My grandfather was recently trying to get Blucher Hall on the Canadian maps because of the historical significance. I have heard that Donald Fraser named this for his Blucher Hall for land he left in Scotland.

~Lorretta