Author Topic: James Turnbull  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Turnbull
« on: Friday 15 November 13 05:39 GMT (UK) »
   Could somebody please check the 1851 and 1861 census for me for James Turnbull who lived in Stanhope and Hunstanworth, Co.Durham at this time.    We are fairly certain that he was born in 1772 at Falstone which is in the Parish of Simonburn in Northumberland, yet in the 1841 census which I have he has 'S' for Scotland against his name.   The same census has his son Anthony born in County, i.e. Durham yet we know that Anthony was born in Scotland.
  Family Search appear to have him aged 79 in their display for 1851, whilst UKCensus on line show him as aged 91 and called James Turnball in their display for 1861.
    I found an obituary for him this morning in the Newspaper Library which says he was 97 years old when he died in Hunstanworth in August 1867.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 13 07:46 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 the image shows him  as 79 - born Northumberland farmer of 70 acres. As you say his son Anthony is listed as born in Roxbrough, Scotland

In 1861 he is shown as 91 born Simonburn, Northumberland living with his son Anthony and family.  Anthony is listed as born in Castleton, Scotland.  Remember the age on his obituary is only as good as the information provided by the informant.

Kay

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Is this the info you have re Anthony?

ANTHONY Turnbull Baptised 26 October 1808, The Parish Church, Castleton, Roxburghshire
Parents JAMES/BETTY
Mothers maiden name ELLIOT
Abode Hartsgarth
Siblings;
NANCY, 24 May 1803,    abode Cleughhead
BETTY, 28 Feb 1805
ANNIE, 25 Dec 1807
HELEN, 22 Sept 1810, abode Middlemoss Ewsparish
ELLIOT, 17 Sept 1812

FreeREG has a Elizabeth Turnbull age 45 Buried St James, 17 June 1827  Hunstanworth, Durham, abode Nookton

Source FreeREG
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 13 09:09 GMT (UK) »
You may have this re Nephew Robert on 1851 Census with James?

Robert HALYBURTON Baptised 05 March 1810, Parish Church, Castleton, Roxburghshire
Parents JOHN and ANN nee ELLIOT
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
You may have this re Nephew Robert on 1851 Census with James?

Robert HALYBURTON Baptised 05 March 1810, Parish Church, Castleton, Roxburghshire
Parents JOHN and ANN nee ELLIOT

Yes, actually I do know about him as a nephew of James,  Trish, but many thanks for confirming it and finding the baptism.      The Elliot girls were all daughters of Robert and Betty Elliot.  He was a Shepherd in Castleton.    There was also Janet who married Walter Borthwick and Agnes who married Edward Herdman.      Other children are mentioned on the gravestone.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 the image shows him  as 79 - born Northumberland farmer of 70 acres. As you say his son Anthony is listed as born in Roxbrough, Scotland

In 1861 he is shown as 91 born Simonburn, Northumberland living with his son Anthony and family.  Anthony is listed as born in Castleton, Scotland.  Remember the age on his obituary is only as good as the information provided by the informant.

Kay

That is great Kay.    Thank you so much for looking them up.    I'm writing a little piece for Blanchland History Pages so every little bit of information helps.   The Turnbull's and Elliot's left a big impact on so many of the big families that followed all around Blanchland and Hunstanworth.   Not surprisingly with James and Betty having 101 gt.grandchildren.   There won't be many people in that corner of the North East who aren't descended from them.
   Yes, I've got used to all kinds of mess ups with the census'.    Worst is when they get a first name completely different.    I've got one gt.gt.grandmother shown as Mary instead of Elizabeth in one year.
   The other thing we have to watch out for are late baptisms.    I've seen them as being baptised in one case as 79 years old and in another as 18 years old.     Ruth Dent was shown as 18 years when baptised in North Yorkshire and shown as being from Alston in Cumberland.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Is this the info you have re Anthony?

ANTHONY Turnbull Baptised 26 October 1808, The Parish Church, Castleton, Roxburghshire
Parents JAMES/BETTY
Mothers maiden name ELLIOT
Abode Hartsgarth
Siblings;
NANCY, 24 May 1803,    abode Cleughhead
BETTY, 28 Feb 1805
ANNIE, 25 Dec 1807
HELEN, 22 Sept 1810, abode Middlemoss Ewsparish
ELLIOT, 17 Sept 1812

FreeREG has a Elizabeth Turnbull age 45 Buried St James, 17 June 1827  Hunstanworth, Durham, abode Nookton

Source FreeREG

Again lots of thanks, Trish.    I first saw this list back in 1985 when a Jim Turnbull living in NSW sent it to me.   All done by post in those days.    However we now know that in the case of Elliot he was right off track and all due to an error in the IGI.     

Jim was claiming the above 1812 Elliot Turnbull as his ancestor purely because some one took it upon themselves to put an 'M' in the Male or Female column.    Morag Carter kindly checked the actual register for me recently and there is nothing there to say that this was a son or listed as male.       Jim even had the census for his male Elliot Turnbull for 1851 living at Canonbie aged 36 years which would have made his birth circa 1815 and not 1812.     Whoever sent him that census even wrote Castleton as the place of birth yet when I checked Family search it comes up as Roxburgh and residence Dumfriesshire.   

We do know that Elliot Dent nee Turnbull gave her birth as 1812 and Scotland.   She was also present at the death of her father James Turnbull - on the death certificate.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline David Cail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

l am hoping if someone has the 'Elliot Family  & Turnbull Family Tree', if they wouldn't mind emailing me a copy please. Robert & Betty Elliot were my 6 x Great Grandparents, their daughter Janet Elliot married Walter Borthwick, my 5 x Great Grandparents.

I will be happy to send any information if required, l also have put the family tree on a website called 'Find a Grave'. Walter Borthwick (memorial no: 123093966) & Janet Elliot (memorial no: 123094809). l would be grateful for any photo's of family members and or headstones, as l need to know of any burial sites, for 'Find a Grave'.

Thanking you and regards

David Cail (Sunbury, Victoria, Australia)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
   I have noticed on other web sites a date of death is given for Walter Borthwick as 1879.    I just checked FreeBMD and it comes up as being in the June quarter of 1879 in Bellingham district, Northumberland when he was 82 years of age.  This is interesting since James Turnbull was born in the same district (Falstone - Simonburn Parish) in 1770.       Janet Borthwick nee Elliot died in 1874 in Castleton so it looks like Walter left Scotland to live with some family in Northumberland after his wife passed away.
Tassie, Greenshields