Author Topic: Cobridge Church WW1 War Memorials  (Read 2444 times)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cobridge Church WW1 War Memorials
« on: Friday 15 November 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have attached the names of the two world war one war memorial which are in Christ Church, Cobridge, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire.  I am in the process of compiling information on the named men, but some have I have been unable to find any information about them. I have used the CWGC, What I am after is there any relatives of these men that can help. They could be anywhere in the country if he died in the war(s) and came from in or around Cobridge, I would like to hear from you The area where these men once lived is now void of dwellings, no hope of any help in this area.

Regards
Alf

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cobridge Church WW1 War Memorials
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 13 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you not think it might be an idea to list those you cannot find along with any information available such as date of death, unit etc? That would give some Rootschatters something to follow up.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I have posted links to the war memorials in question

Alf

Offline boardcell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 January 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

John William Artaud was my great uncle, obviously, i never met him, i do know quite a bit about his very interesting ancestry.  He was from a well known huguenot  family of actors and the original french Artaud to settle in England (Stephen) was a jeweller to George III.

Offline judybs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 April 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an enigma for Cobridge War memorial . A WW1 record of a dead man Thomas Edward BONSALL who died on 4th May 1918 and is buried in Tourgeville Military Cemetery. CWGC lists him as "husband of Ada BONSALL of 57, Derwent St, Cobridge." He was born in Buslem in 1889 and is on the 1911 census for Cobridge with his parents George and Sarah BONSALL. He was a coal miner but in WW1 was 16th Bt, Machine Gun Corps. I cannot understand why his name is not on the Cobridge memorial?

Offline Origins57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Boardcell, I came across an Ancestry post in which you stated "My family history is at a standstill and I wondered if anyone can help with the Rileys and Gilgrysts from Mancester" My wife is from a branch of the family. What is your connection?