Author Topic: Currie Family - James Currie & Jane Sloan, Annan Parish  (Read 22552 times)

Offline Litten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Currie Family - James Currie & Jane Sloan, Annan Parish
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 February 15 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear  Nan

Thank you for your information - anything relating to the forebears of Charles Currie and Jane Sloan  is of interest to me.  If you can give me the details of Adam's birth certificate, I'd much appreciate it.

My husband and I are visiting the UK in May 2016 and will be travelling between Ayr and Gretna Green while on that trip.  We'd love to be able to view any buildings eg houses or schools which have family significance.  If you know of any, please tell me - we'd love to stop enroute and view where our ancestors lived/played/worked.  Thank you.

Sincerely
Léonie

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear  Nan

Thank you for your information - anything relating to the forebears of Charles Currie and Jane Sloan  is of interest to me.  If you can give me the details of Adam's birth certificate, I'd much appreciate it.

My husband and I are visiting the UK in May 2016 and will be travelling between Ayr and Gretna Green while on that trip.  We'd love to be able to view any buildings eg houses or schools which have family significance.  If you know of any, please tell me - we'd love to stop enroute and view where our ancestors lived/played/worked.  Thank you.

Sincerely
Léonie
   For what its worth I once found a book that listed monumental inscriptions at St.Bride's Churchyard in Douglas and one read - 87. Burying ground of James Currie, brewer of Douglas.   I never did find out who this was.   I do know that John Draffan went from Coylton to Douglas either before or after his wife Agnes Currie died 1849/1850.    In any case Douglas is well worth a visit as it is full of history - of the Cameronians, the Covenanters, and the Guid Sir James whose heart is in what is left of the Church.    This Church is also where the English garrison got slaughtered by the Douglas on Palm Sunday 1307 and so became known as the Douglas Larder.    A little further north is the dramatic Craignethan Castle which was once Draffan Castle but immortalised as Tillietudlum by Sir Walter Scott.   The late Sir Nigel Tranter also wrote about it in his book 'The Wallace' as William Wallace's grandmother was Alicia Draffan and he visited his aunt Lady Jean Douglas there.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 February 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Leoni, if you make one more posting on rootschat I can then send you a private message. I will include a copy of Adam's birth certificate and other pertinent information.
Nan 
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline Litten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 February 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nan.  I am excited with the possibility of finding out more of my mother's family.  I know quite a lots about my father's Highlands ancestors (I visited there in 1989) but the Currie side has always been a mystery to me.  Thank you for your support.  Leonie

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 November 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Some more

I've found the death of Jane Currie, m.s. Sloan ~

Hutchesontown, Glasgow, 29 Nov 1880
Jane Currie, widow of James Currie, contractor. Aged 60.
Parents - William Sloan, farm servant and Jane M.S. McKinna.  Both deceased.
Cause of death - Gastritis and Peritonitis, cert. by W Forrest, surgeon.
Informant - Margaret McGibbon, daughter (present)

Gadget

Added - I wouldn't worry too much about Jane's age on death cert - Margaret probably just made an estimate!

I think this Margaret McGibbon nee Currie may be the same person as Margaret Sutton who is buried with her son James Currie McGibbon at Waverley Cemetery in New Zealand.

There is a death notice for James at Nukumaru in the Wanganui Herald on 13 March 1907.   

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 December 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget for confirming the information I have on Jane Sloan and her daughter, Margaret Currie McGibbon Sutton. The newspaper article about the death of James was new and I have added the information to my family tree.
Other than the fact that Margaret married William Sutton in 1898 in New Zealand I have no further info on him. Do you have any per chance?
cheers, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline Jane Burke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 November 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leonie,

I am the daughter of Beverly Jacobsen (the only biological child of Ben Jacobsen and Garda Tarrant). I was in Feilding last weekend and the graves of Jane Irving and William Currie are not listed there, so I'm not sure they are actually buried there. Everything else seems correct, as far as I know.

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,  Re your post to Leonie regarding the Feilding, N.Z. Cemetery. I initiated the original post regarding the Currie Family. My Gt. Grandparents are Charles and Jane (nee Irving), who along with their son, are buried there along side my Grandparents Henry and Agnes (nee Currie) Simpson, Agnes being a daughter of Charles and Jane. I do have a photo of these headstones if you would like a copy.
Regards, Homers.