Author Topic: Thomas McKay - Farmer of Auld Allan Farm & Mill, Lintrathen Parish nearby.  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McKay - Farmer of Auld Allan Farm & Mill, Lintrathen Parish nearby.
« on: Tuesday 19 November 13 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,
I do have some family history of Thomas' family and which of them settled in N.Z. I am trying to go back further on Thomas and wife Agnes (nee Wilson).

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McKay - Farmer of Auld Allan Farm & Mill, Lintrathen Parish nearby.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a will for 'Thomas Mackay, tenant at Wester Auld Allan, Parish of Lintrathen' from 1855.  You can download it from Scotland's People website, ref is SC47/40/23, it's 9 pages long

If this is your man I wonder if he married again as there is an MI entry for a Thomas McKay, who died on Christmas Day 1854 aged 81, buried in Lintrathen chuchyard with his ?second ?wife 'Jean Ramsay'.  Lots of other McKays buried here too. 

1841 census and 1851 census has the above chap at 'Knowehead of AuldAllan', born c1775 in Kingoldrum.  At first glance only potential entry in the OPR is for 'Thomas Mackie' born 1773 Kingoldrum, father 'James Mackie'.  There is a 1766 marriage entry for James to 'Jean Mickison' in the OPR for Kingoldrum.  This would all need much further verification but could be somewhere to start. 

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
If you do decide to look into 'James Mackie' who married 'Jean Mickison' in Kingoldrum in 1766 note the following OPR entries and the name/spelling variants:
Agnes Mackie, christened 1768 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, mother not listed
Euphan Mackie, christened 1769 Kingoldrum father Jas. Mackie, mother not listed
Jean Mackie, christened 1771 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, mother not listed
Thomas Mackie, christened 1773 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, mother not listed
Isobel Mackie, christened 1775 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, mother not listed
Margaret Mackie, christened 1778 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, mother Jean Meckison
James Mackie, christened 1780 Kingoldrum father Jas. Mackie, Mother Jean Meckison
John Mackie, christened 1782 Lintrathen father James Mackie, Mother Margaret Mickison
John Mackie, christened 1782 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, Mother Jean Meckison
Giles Mackie, christened 1785 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, Mother Jean Meckison
Jean Mackie, christened 1785 Kingoldrum father James Mackie, Mother Jean Meckison
(there may be others but am in a rush!)

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gali

Thank you for your responses re above.

Perhaps I should have expanded a little...Thomas was my GGG Grandfather, married to Agnes McKay (nee Wilson), this information was collected some years ago, around 1984, by a relative who visited and did talk to some family then.  Thomas' son James Born 1799, Died 1889 Farmer of AuldAllan, as shown on his headstone at Lintrathen churchyard. James married Marjory Annand 1801 - 1887.
Four on James' sons emigrated to New Zealand - 1858 and 1863.

The will you mentioned for Thomas Mackay, tenant at Wester Auld Allan!! Was this a farming property?

I would like to thank you once again for your assistance.

p.s. I believe the Old Mill has been turned into an Accomodation where one can stay and that the old Steading home is occupied.

Homers

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 06:38 GMT (UK) »
'wester' is just 'western' ... perhaps in this case to distinguish one building from t'other ... it looks from this 1846 Scottish postal directory that Thomas was at the 'Braes of Auld Allan' and James at the Mill. 
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85467366

If you pay £7 on Scotland's People you will get 30 credits, 10 of which you will need to use to download the will. 

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
You also might find the following from 1869 of interest ... details of a dispute as to whether all of the land of Auldallan lay within Lintrathen parish or whether a part was in Kingoldrum ... James Mackay is the tenant, Peter Wedderburn Ogilvy the landowner:

"The tenant in the lands, born at Auldallan, and whose father was previously tenant therein, while paying schoolmaster's salary, road-money, and parochial burdens in Lintrathen, has until recently paid none in Kingoldrum"
http://www02.us.archive.org/stream/scotsrevisedrep03sessgoog/scotsrevisedrep03sessgoog_djvu.txt

Offline Tania Porteous

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a direct descendant of Thomas McKay and Agnes Wilson.  I live in NZ.
I would like to be kept in the loop as well please if you can expand on family history.
Not sure if  any of you participate on the LDS website.  If so search Thomas McKay and you will bring up my family chart I would imagine.
I have someone taking photos of the hewadstones in Linthrathen in about a weeks time.  If there is anything else I can point those people towards to help in our search please let me know.

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tania, I have had a look at LDS (Family Search) but unable to link into Thomas on a Family Tree. Not sure if you rec'd my reply a few days ago..... I live in N.Z. and we do have a lot of information on 4 sons of James' family (son of Thomas) who migrated to N.Z. A book was written by a family member who has researched the family. James' headstone sits directly behind the old Lintrathen church, around 2 or 3 rows back and is a tall headstone with a "Vase" on top. Last year I visited there with family but because of weather and time constraints was unable to take in more than that headstone.
If you wish you can contact me on "homarg2@vodafone.co.nz" and I could give you more info.

Homers   

Offline Lynda J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
I was drawn to your posts about Auld Allan. My family were also tenants there in 1821. My 3rd Great Grandmother's will refers to her daughter Betty Mill Milne and son-in-law William Grant farming at Auld Allan. My 2nd Great Uncle William Milne married Betty McKay who was the daughter of Thomas McKay and Jean Ramsay.  My Milne Family were tenants in Westerton of Balintore, Wester Pearsie, Longdrum, Balloch and Herd.  If there is any connection I'd be happy to share information. As an aside, Auld Allan was recently up for sale for a mere $498,000  pounds if anyone is interested! Best regards.