Author Topic: Thomas McKay - Farmer of Auld Allan Farm & Mill, Lintrathen Parish nearby.  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McKay - Farmer of Auld Allan Farm & Mill, Lintrathen Parish nearby.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 August 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda J, Yes, there is a connection, Thomas who farmed Auld Allan was my 3rd Gt. Grandfather, father of James. James also farmed the property. Four of James's sons emigrated to New Zealand, David (my Gt. Grandfather), and brothers Peter, John Annan and Robert Malcolm, all settled in Southland, New Zealand. In Thomas' Will it shows ... "my elder daughter by my present marriage (to Jean Ramsay), Mary Mackay wife of William Milne" - perhaps "Betty" was her known name!! Thomas had James, Catharine, Martha and Margaret (shown in Will) from his first marraige to Agnes Wilson. I hope this may help you with your research. Please don't hesitate to contact if you feel I can help further.  Homers.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
Mickison/Meckison, is Meekison, a local name.

Skoosh.

Offline HeatherLima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all that are interested. Have finally had a weeks holidays and am going through sorting old pictures. Decided to investigate the mill of Auld Allan where my relatives are from and have found this page. Hope I am posting correctly on here. Thomas MacKay I believe is my 3rd great grandfather or 4th? I do have pictures of him if anyone is interested and of the headstones at the church where the family is buried as well. I'm from the side of the family who came to Canada.

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi HeatherLima....Thank you for your posting...I would love any photos of Thomas (my 3rd Gt Grandfather)and family you have. The only photos I have are of the Auld Allan homestead and the Mill next door as well as the Headstone of Thomas's son James, who married Marjorie Annand, which is directly behind the old church at Lintrathen.   The McKay connection I have is from one of the four son's of James who emigrated to New Zealand in mid 1850's. A book written in N.Z. by M. Noeline Shaw called "The History of The McKay Family of Wyndham", (Wyndham is in the South Island, N.Z.), gives a picture of the N.Z. connection.
I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Homers. 

Offline HeatherLima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 January 17 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Homers. Happy to share what I have. I can scan and send but not sure the best way to pass on to you as am new to the site. Share e-mails? Tried sending an attachment but says too big. 
My Grandmother's name was Jean so thinking my line is from his second marriage. Shall see if I can track down the book. Not sure how much would relate to me but am curious just the same.
Look forward to hearing back from you.
Heather

Offline Homers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 January 17 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,  I have had a look at a copy of Thomas's will (died 21 December 1854) and Mentioned is second wife Jean MacKay (nee Ramsay). Their Oldest daughter Mary (married William Milne) and Youngest Daughter Jean MacKay. Son James from first marriage carried on at the farm. it may be easier to send attachments via e-mail  even if it means sending smaller files! Thomas's will shows spelling as "MacKay", his son from first marriage, James shows a change to McKay in his will. They are the same family.  I hope this information is helpful to you. Look forward to hearing further from you.... Regards, Homers!!!!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 January 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Homers, just a friendly note to say it would be best if you edit your last post to remove your email address, then send it to HeatherLima via the Private Message option (click on the little 'letter in circle' symbol under HeatherLima's name to send the PM).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Lynda J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello HeatherLima
I live in Eastern Canada.  Margaret Milne, daughter of William Milne (my second Great Uncle) and Mary McKay immigrated to Canada about 1906 after the death of her father along with her husband James Lindsay.  The family settled in Saskatchewan and raised their family. One of their daughters Mary McKay Lindsay became a successful cattle broader.  This information came from a distant cousin Ethel Lindsay Sweezy.  My line comes from William Milne younger brother James Milne (my great grandfather).  I am happy to share information if this is of interest to you or anyone else on this site.   Best regards.
Lynda J.