Author Topic: How can I get any farther back with the Coleman family?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
How can I get any farther back with the Coleman family?
« on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage of my husband's great great grandparents in Ennis on 14 Jan 1848.
They were Patrick Coleman and Margaret Keane. I cannot get hold of the cert though-how do I do that?

Their first (of 9) child Thomas Coleman b 13 Oct 1848 is my husbands great grandad ,he married Catherine O'Dea on 16 Aug 1875 at the Roman Catholic  Church in Ennis.I have that cert.

The men were mostly Cooper's (made barrels).

Can someone help or guide me on how to go further back with the Coleman's ( sometimes spelt Colman) It's not a very common name over there at the time,and we'd love to know where they originally came from.

Many thanks

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get any farther back with the Coleman family?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so if they married in a Catholic cerremony there will by no marriage certificate. There may be a church record of the marriage but often only date, bride, groom & 2 witnesses listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
You can't get it because civil registration didn't begin for RCs until 1864, so it doesn't exist in 1848.

You best bet would be to find out which church and look at the PRs although it is unlikely to give you and connecting details, however you maybe able to search the PRs and find baptisms of these people
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/parishes.htm
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 November 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys,so even if I got hold of the marriage record if it's pre registration it isn't going to tell me who his parents were is it?

Iluleah,are you suggesting that I write to the appropriate priest on that link for help with the parish records?

Regards

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 November 13 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
This might be a better link http://www.ennisparish.com/churches/ and yes ask the worse they can say is the they can't help you, at best you might get a scanned copy of the marriage sent to you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Elisshapark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I researching Coleman's from Clondegad, the came to Massachusetts around 1850, one by one it seems.  Would love to see if there's a connection.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php