Author Topic: Evelyn Beattie Halliday nee Skilling  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evelyn Beattie Halliday nee Skilling
« on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information s concerning Evelyn Beattie Halliday. She married Alexander Hunter Halliday at Torthorwald in Dumfriesshire in Scotland on 4th June 1917. I believe her husband was a Canadian citizen, although he was Scottish by birth. I know that they had been on holiday in the early 1920s to Scotland and returned in about 1923/4. If anyone can give me any information concerning her and her family, I would be most grateful

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Beattie Halliday nee Skilling
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 November 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Where did they marry? if in Scotland her parents should be listed on the marriage certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
As I said in my original post they married in Torthorwald in Scotland. I am trying to find out any info for her and her husband and family after they returned to Canada in 1923/4

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1963 Fort William Ontario - Alexander, (retired) Mrs Evelyn Halliday and Miss Evelyn B W H Halliday (unemployed)  - 2219 Miles Street Fort William Ontario.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I didn't see the place mentioned in your original post (could you have added it ?). When you said looking for "any information concerning her and her family" it wasn't clear you wanted details of her after 1923/4. Since it's possible any children they might have had could still be living/recently deceased it might be difficult information due to provacy restrictions in each Canadian Province.

For reference-
In the 1921 Census they were living in Fort William, Ontario with a 3 year old daughter. In 1920 the 3 of them were returning to Fort William (Alexander an accountant, formerly military officer, in Canada 1911/1914) all with birthplace Scotland.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Canada Voters List 1974 Thunder Bay Ontario - Alexander Halliday (retired)  Miss Evelyn Halliday (retired) 1820 Hamilton Avenue.

In 1968 all 3 were at the Hamilton Avenue address.

In 1972 only Alexander and Miss Evelyn at the Hamilton Avenue address. (So Evelyn possibly died 1968 - 1972)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:44 GMT (UK) »
This could be the daughter alive in 1963-
www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=3146
Possibly daughter listed here- http://advancement.lakeheadu.ca/uploads/docs/donors/Devel_full_page.pdf and here
Google 'evelyn halliday' and 'thunder bay' for more
Perhaps contact Thunder Bay Weavers Guild or local library to see if they have an obituary for her.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 November 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
There is an attestation paper for Alexander Hunter Halliday which can be accessed through the Canadian archives. It gives dob as 5 Nov 1892 in Maxwelltown and next of kin as Alexander Halliday New Abbey Road, Maxwelltown. Date of attestation 20 Sept 1914.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 November 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Index of Death Notices - The Chronicle-Journal July 1972 - 1989

Alexander H. Halliday 83 years -  9 Jun 1976 Thunder Bay 10 Jun 1976 p.35

http://www.tbpl.ca/upload/documents/obit-index-tb-cj-1972-1989001.pdf

Sandra