Author Topic: Wartime accident Malcolm Sim  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wartime accident Malcolm Sim
« on: Friday 22 November 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
My father was sent to work in Orkney as a civilian during the war.  He was badly injured in a fall from a pylon sometime in 1943-44.  Can anyone help me find more information about this.  He was admitted to hospital, where he was left overnight to see if he would survive or not.  He did.  He had his right arm amputated by the surgeon Mr McClure.  He made a good recovery, but was always very reluctant to talk about the accident.  I wondered if there might have been a report in a local newspaper?

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Wartime accident Malcolm Sim
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The only masts I know of in Orkney would be the ones at Netherbutton, Holm, a radar station, they were demolished in the eighties I think, the following link should give you an idea of where they were, and you can find info on the web, if you google Netherbutton. The newspapers of the day i think would be The Orkney Herald and The Orcadian

http://www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/imagelibrary/picture/number774.asp
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this, it's another area to explore.  I read somewhere - on an Orkney site - that electricity lines were brought across to a naval station during the war and I wondered if the pylon in question would have been an electricity pylon - or would the radar pylons have been dual purpose?

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
doubt if it would be an electricity pylon, we dont have them in Orkney, only poles, there were so many naval stations here in the war, any idea which one ?

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 November 13 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.  That's helpful - I didn't know there were no electricity pylons - it was just a guess when I read about the naval bases having electricity brought in.  It must have been a radar pylon he fell off.  I'm afraid that's all I know about his accident - not much to go on, but thanks for the information about the pylons.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, at the moment I'm reading a book 'Orkney's Italian Chapel' concerning the work carried out to fortify the Islands defenses during the war. Although it centres on the building of a chapel by Italian PoWs at the start it covers work in erecting 4 electric cableways between Lamb Holm and the main Island. It mentions an accident whereby a worker had his arm trapped when a cable snapped ninety foot up in the air. Two workmates manage to take the man's weight off the arm while others released him. His arm was amputated as a result. The two workers were Norman Rae and Patrick Devery, both got special mentions. The injured man is not named.

But work was being carried out erecting towers/pylons in other parts of the Island not just to naval bases.

Worth a look perhaps.

Davie

ps. just re-read the pages about the accident it reads like it was the summer of 1941?
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  This sounds very much as though it could be referring to my dad's accident.  Thank you so much.  I've seen a book in the shops about the Italian Chapel, but haven't read it - I'll certainly get a hold of it now!

Thanks again

Fiona

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Make sure it's 'Orkney's Italian Chapel (The true story of an icon) by Philip Paris (2013). I've seen several books on the subject, and I believe he did an early version. Seems the civilians were employed by Balfour Beatty. I know it's available from Amazon.
Good luck with your hunting.
Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire