Author Topic: Wartime accident Malcolm Sim  (Read 8394 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Wartime accident Malcolm Sim
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
http://www.scapaflow.org/b60.htm

the above link has some information you might find interesting
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Davie.  I bought the book yesterday and have read the first chapter with interest.  It has put a whole new perspective on my dad's work in Orkney - I had had only the vaguest notion of what he had been doing there.  I'm pretty sure my dad was the injured man in question - it would have been an enormous coincidence if there had been more than one accident with this kind of outcome.  I was very moved to read about it and feel proud now that my father was involved in the construction of the Churchill Barriers.

Also thank you "akc" for the pointer to more background information on the barriers at Scapa Flow.  It all helps bring the period to life.

Many thanks to you both.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I would be really keen now to try and find out more. Perhaps trying to contact the author, through the publishers! or Orkney Library Archives. Maybe even the Chapel Preservation Committee, who may have contact details for him. Might even try Balfour Beatty, they might have an archive covering accidents etc.
Glad you got the book.
Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 January 14 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'd thought of trying to contact the author.  He lives about 45 mins away from me in Tain - or did when his last book came out.  Thanks for the other suggestions for finding out more - I wouldn't have thought of those avenues.

Offline Dingross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
Have been in touch with Philip Paris, author of "Orkney's Italian Chapel".  He was very helpful and provided me with a copy of the letter Balfour Beatty had about the "Special Command Mention" by Vice Admiral Sir Hugh Binnie for the men involved in rescuing the injured man described in the book.  After further discussion within my family, we've reached the conclusion the man injured wasn't my father although the scenario and his injuries were so similar.  the accident described in the book happened in 1941, but we have evidence that my father's accident had to have been after November 1943.  We have a telegram sent by my father from Orkney to my mother on their 3rd wedding anniversary in November 1943 and also my brother, born in 1942, remembers being told that he was left in the care of a neighbour when my mother travelled to Orkney to be with my father after the accident.  So, not quite there yet, but picking up a lot of useful background information.